fed up with this thing (searched)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it is the cycles of switch not miles that wears it out. Pizza truck with 30 stops a day will kill it in about 5 years where as cross country trips will make it last longer then the engine.a break in sending wire from pump to pcm could cause a peg high reading however the gauge cluster power would need to be on to register it. So if ignition is off then the ignition switch is shorting or somehow voltage is getting in to cluster another way. First make sure you did not pinch a wire near starter. There are some testing procedures for fuel indicator system if you want them.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
Ok dokie. I will get down near the starter and look around.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
So finally got an update on this thing...Found out today that, the 02 sensor connector and some wiring, along with another bunch of 4 wires itself wrapped in a little bundle through a bracket thing, were toast...Literally. They had melted themselves to a crisp against the exhaust somewhere near the header collector.

So I...went to a junkyard, cut off the connector section off a wiring harness for the o2 sensor only...used one of old previous o2 sensors off my s10 (same setup) installed it, cut and spliced the new connector I bought from the junkyard onto the existing wiring after the burnt section was cut out...and re-installed that o2 sensor with its new connector and wiring. I also, couldn't for the life of me get enough room to splice in new wiring for the other 4 wires that were burnt....So I separated those 4 wires and put tape all the way around them, put part of a spark plug heat sleeve around it...then put header wrap on the wiring anywhere remotely close to the header.

I also did take some readings today with the multimeter. At 1pm today, the voltage on the battery was 12.20. After a quick drive around the block it was 12.65. Today at 5pm it was already back down to 12.22. Then instantly after I took that last reading, I went to the gas station to put gas in it, came back...and it was at 12.65 again.

Did I fix the short in those 4 wires by putting tape around them, or are they still bad? I know it was one ghetto fix but I honestly had a really hard time fitting my hands in there, making any kinda clearance whatsoever, then let alone put a wire crimper in there to crimp new wires together after cutting out the burnt section. What do ya guys think?!?! :) Thanks again for the help!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well it does not sound like it is shorting which is good but check the voltage again 2 hour after shutdown and post result. The O2 heater wires should only be crimped and sealed of no wire twisting. wire nuts or soldering on those.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
Yeah...I sure hope none of those wires are still shorting out. They must have came loose or something somehow and were resting on the header. The o2 sensor connector was literally just mangled...lol...

That thing has 4 wires on it too, so I cut off the burnt section, and crimped all those wires to their appropriate colored wires on the new connector I got from the junkyard. I then wrapped those wires with electrical tape just to be safe, and like I said...a spark plug heat sleeve that was cut in half, and then on top of that...I put header wrap on it for added insurance. lol

The other 4 wires from this other wire bundle though seemed like such a pain in the ass, that I just separated the wires since they were kinda melted together...and then wrapped them in electrical tape to seal off any open wire, and then I put header wrap over those as well...

When you say it doesn't sound like it is shorting out anymore....How do you know? Did the volt meter readings seem okay to you?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the difference in volts you saw is like a residual float charge almost. Like I said check again several hours later. if still around 12 then call yourself good.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
the difference in volts you saw is like a residual float charge almost. Like I said check again several hours later. if still around 12 then call yourself good.

haha okay....well hopefully that is all that's needed...BUT...the battery itself as of recently...has been dying in the matter of a couple weeks at a time...so if i re-checked voltage after only a couple hours...is that really gonna mean anything? I would love for it to do so but who knows, ya know? I would like to think all is good now that I've found a problem and fixed it the best I could...and that the 02 sensor should be a-ok and giving the right a/f ratio or whatever it does exactly, so that the truck can run better now. It's my mom's ride and I feel bad she has to deal with shit and all, but hopefully this solves the issue. I'll check voltage in the morning tomorrow, and the latest I can depending on if my mom goes anywhere tomorrow. I guess only time will tell. Appreciate the help, as always! :)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
That is why I said post them. I see the 11.78 from this morning lets see one more tonight or in the morning please. The readings are best made with vehicle not used and interior lights off after opening door to get to hood latch.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
Unfortunately they already drove the yukon today but the last reading i took it was 12.15.....maybe if it doesn't get driven again today i can take another reading tonight for a better idea of what's going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100