Figured it out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm thinking about doing this mod

just took out the wire with the diode, sure enough it had melted straight through the heat shrink I used to insulate it

Switched to a straight wire, no diode, and it worked again, left the high beams/low beams/fogs on for 20 min and it was still cool to the touch, no heat

Mr. B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BD Lightning, do the fogs stay on with your high beams? Are you connected like the pics show earlier in this thread?

derk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to use your fogs without the high's then try using a bigger diode. I dont know the part number but I know you can get bigger diodes that can handle more current.

TREYR8D

Reaction score
So this topic hasn't been visited in a while, but i was thinking about doing this mod for the 6-hi, but got to thinking. Has anyone tried finding a different relay for the fog lights switch. I imagine that the relay has multiple inputs for inputs from park/lows, switch, and high beams. Then based on the combination of the inputs, it decides whether on or off. Why not just find a new relay that only takes the one input from the switch and controls the fog lights? Then you can control the on/off and have them on whenever you want, even without fogs or lows, and still on with highs? Just a thought. i'll look into it more this weekend.

now that i think about it, my jeep had some sort of weird wiring in it to allow for use of fogs whenever i wanted with the factory relay and dash switch. but then again it burned up and caused a short 3 years later....

Last edited:

jcrack_corn

Reaction score
i'm an electrical guy and i would NOT recommend doing this. that diode is rated for 1 amp, lol.

very good potential to burn.....

jsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
newb to the tyk here..........
i just bought a 10' and was wondering if anyone had perfected this "fogs on all the time" for the newer ones (assuming the earlier posts were right about variance between wiring setups between years).

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Mine still works fine a year and a half later with the diode route. But then again I have LED fog lights. You can find them on Ebay Jerry by typing 5202 LED fogs.
A straight wire can work but the issue with that is you will not be able to have only fog lights on. Its either fogs and low beam, or no fog and low beam. My setup can have fogs with no low beam.

jsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how much light do the LED fogs put out compared to the stock bulbs?

I dont have HID lows yet, and the fogs are actually helpful when im not using my hi beams

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
The light they put out is pretty much useless but they do look good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
resmith3