Front suspension torque specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
So I’m not getting much traction in the street suspension sub forum so hoping someone see my post here. Basically I have a clunk emanating from what sounds like the drivers side whenever I’m performing a 90 degree turn at slow speeds. I already tightened down the rear sway bar links to 74 ft lbs per this: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/0...y-have-a-pop-or-clunk-sound-when-turning/amp/

Unfortunately that hasn’t remedied the sound. I inspected the drivers side of the vehicle - bushings, ball joints, etc and nothing seems damaged and what not. Steering feels tight and responsive. I don’t feel anything just hearing the clunk. So with that being said, hoping someone can provide me with the torque specs for the front of the suspension of the 2021+ Yukon so that I can then get underneath again and verify that everything is tightened down to spec. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
Why is this not at the dealer under warranty?
Because bumper to bumper warranty is 36k miles and I’m at 44k…

I would rather save $240 for a “diagnosis” and double check things underneath myself. If I don’t find the smoking gun, then I’ll schedule a dealer visit.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What you just shared would have removed a lot of doubt in the beginning. Also, members need the vehicle info.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
What you just shared would have removed a lot of doubt in the beginning. Also, members need the vehicle info.
I assume that when someone posts a question like mine, more than likely they’re out of b2b warranty. In addition, this is the 2021+ general discussion so vehicle info doesn’t really matter since all of them have the same suspension components outside of air suspension or maybe magnaride.

But for the record, I have a 2022 Yukon Denali XL.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I assume that when someone posts a question like mine, more than likely they’re out of b2b warranty. In addition, this is the 2021+ general discussion so vehicle info doesn’t really matter since all of them have the same suspension components outside of air suspension or maybe magnaride.

But for the record, I have a 2022 Yukon Denali XL.
I learned a long time ago, when working in and running shops, do not assume anything. You just said the problem is in the steering/suspension and then you say that "all of them have the same suspension "outside" of air suspension or maybe magnaride. That, in and of itself, is a difference. If you give partial info you will get partial answers.

I would "assume" that the noise is "likely" related to what is in the video. Good luck

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago, when working in and running shops, do not assume anything. You just said the problem is in the steering/suspension and then you say that "all of them have the same suspension "outside" of air suspension or maybe magnaride. That, in and of itself, is a difference. If you give partial info you will get partial answers.

I would "assume" that the noise is "likely" related to what is in the video. Good luck
Do you think it's normal? Also, I noticed that when I twist both right and left tie outer tie rods by hand, I can hear a metallic clank on ball joint end. Balls joints look brand new and don't have wear. Also, I don't have any play 3 and 9 o'clock. Just wondering if this is all normal GM stuff...

I didn't grab a video the latter part, but here is exactly what that metallic clank sounds and looks like:

(not my video or car btw)

Another example

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you think it's normal? Also, I noticed that when I twist both right and left tie outer tie rods by hand, I can hear a metallic clank on ball joint end. Balls joints look brand new and don't have wear. Also, I don't have any play 3 and 9 o'clock. Just wondering if this is all normal GM stuff...

I didn't grab a video the latter part, but here is exactly what that metallic clank sounds and looks like:

(not my video or car btw)

Another example
Those steering/suspension pieces come out of the factory greased but no way to add grease later. I personally think that is the noise source and that sucks that you cannot get in there with grease thru a grease zerk. You can use a grease gun and a grease needle to get some grease inside the boot but there will be a pinhole left from the needle puncture. It may be worth it though. In my example, all you see is the cover over the needle. The next link is a sample of what the needle does look like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callea

Latest posts