got a flat need help with replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CleanT

Reaction score
whats goin on guys i unfortunately got a flat today and i need to get the spare out and replaced asap but i cant get the damn thing out! ive seen it done once but that was a while ago...i got the tools to remove the tire from the side panel in the back but i cant get the spare to come loose from the bottom:emotions122: i opened that cap and saw what looks like a keyhole and i stuck a flat head in there to see if it would release the spare but it wouldn't..how do you release that damn thing pleaseee help thanks yall

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there should be a cap near your license plate that covers the hole to release the tire. with the tools supplied with the car (should be a jack, tire iron, etc.) one of those will fit into the hole and you need to rotate it counter clockwise to drop the wire that holds the tire up.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Make sure only to drop that cord down a few inches. Once the cord is down you need to push up on the spare which will disengage another lock and let the spare drop. I just laid under it and pushed up on 3 and 9 o'clock and it came right down.

Don't do what I did and let the cord go all the way down then push on it thinking it was stuck in place and have it drop on your head then your head hit concrete. Not fun.

Also, that keyhole is a keyhole. Use you vehicle key to remove it.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, lemme think on this... " I saw what looks to be a key hole so I stuck a flat blade screwdriver in it to see if it would blah blah blah..."

It IS a key hole.. Stick your ignition key in it....
Turn and pull out the plug... Gives you access to the "hole for the long Rod, to let the tire down.....

As far as getting the POS W shaped thing from out the center, GFL! I fought that thing for 20 mins..

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^
Don't do what I did and let the cord go all the way down then push on it thinking it was stuck in place and have it drop on your head then your head hit concrete. Not fun.

Note taken, that is a ***** trap! I know how the tire comes down, but I thought it just lowered with the cable. I wonder if it was stuck from being up there so long, or if there really is a secondary mechanism? Either, way, that is good to know, you don't want to get knocked out laying on the side of the highway on a hot day like today.

OP
OP
C

CleanT

Reaction score
i managed to get that ***** down haha thanks yall big help this is why i love tyf!

NovaRacer

Reaction score
i managed to get that ***** down haha thanks yall big help this is why i love tyf!

There is a recall out for the spare tire / release mechanism. Had mine fixed this week.

I spent an hour trying to get the spare out a few weeks back, finally gave up and called AAA to have it towed home.

WB

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a recall out for the spare tire / release mechanism. Had mine fixed this week.

I spent an hour trying to get the spare out a few weeks back, finally gave up and called AAA to have it towed home.

WB

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anyone have any information about this recall?

I tried to get my spare down and the secondary latch wouldn't release. I tried the trick with the jack but it actually crushed the wheel block.

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
It would be helpful to try this before you need to do it on the side of the road. I would lube the joints, cables and make sure it is not rusted up. And, don't forget to put air in your spare.

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*****-trap

Note taken, that is a ***** trap! I know how the tire comes down, but I thought it just lowered with the cable. I wonder if it was stuck from being up there so long, or if there really is a secondary mechanism? Either, way, that is good to know, you don't want to get knocked out laying on the side of the highway on a hot day like today.

Ahhh finally someone that knows how to change a spare... HA well I feel like an idiot because 1 I didnt know this and 2 I laid under my hoe for a good half hour hitting it and pushing up on it pulling down on it and i still couldnt get it to drop... Thank god i didnt have a flat and was just looking for some elbo room to change my shocks... Anyway you said push up at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions do you mean the passenger side and drivers side??? and does anyone else seem to have this issue???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvaz2000