handgun location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcsutton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread! You guys should seriously consider learning the handgun carry laws for your individual states.

In Texas, you can carry a loaded handgun in your 'glovebox' without a concealed carry license...but it can't be visible. Texas has no open carry law so if you carry a handgun it must be concealed and you need a license. No permit and it's visible and seen by a cop who pulls you over or searches your rig....you gonna go to the pokey. Between the console and seat don't cut it....the law says it has to be in the 'govebox'. Me, I figure the console IS my glovebox. But that's just me. Some **** retentive cop may have a different opinion.

Personally, I have a concealed weapons permit, so as long as it's concealed from view it can be anywhere in my vehicle. If you don't have a ccw permit....it has to be in your 'glovebox' or you can get busted.

Longarms, you can open carry. You can keep a loaded longarm in your vehicle and it's legal. Hell, you can sling your AR-15 over your back and walk down the street legally in Texas. You just can't go into a building where firearms are prohibited by law: like a school or courthouse.

If you are packin' a hangun in your rig...learn what's legal in your state and what's not legal..or..you may end up beating the charges...but you won't beat the ride to jail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoHoe09

RoHoe09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Texas law does not state that it has to be in the glovebox, just concealed.
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is NOT:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

A local cop told me that you can keep a loaded a pistol tucked inside the Sunday paper and the paper can be laying on the seat next to as you drive...just as long no one can see any part of the gun, you'll be ok...until you slam on the brakes and the pistol pops out.

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
There's where I keep mine -- in the black Allen rug on the driver's side door of my 2010 Tahoe. Sixteen rounds in the clip and one in the chamber with nothing more than a good trigger pull to fire away. Hell, I don't even need to unzip the Allen rug . . . just stick my hand in it and start firing. The first shot ought to remove the cover. :Big Laugh:

Attachments

• Z71 trim -- 5 of 8.jpg
    Z71 trim -- 5 of 8.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 76

Big O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could customize your cupholder and place a rigid holster permently mounted there. Sturdy and clean ... not overly hidden though.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
please don't call the magazine a clip. :(

Wow, that slip-up can get you banned on a gun forum. :Big Laugh:

I have a magazine in the Sig Sauer 9mm. If I wanted to load my .38 Special fast like Clint Eastwood, I'd use a clip. However, I don't think Clint Eastwood uses little things like a .38 Special too often. :eek: