Heater Core Hose Connectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgmc

Reaction score
Good morning y'all. I flushed my cooling system and replaced the water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing and all of the hoses over the weekend. I bought the hoses from AutoZone and had to buy the cheap hose connectors as well. Everything went smoothly until I was adding the coolant. The coolant started pouring out of the connectors even though they were both snapped in. If it was only one connector I would think it was a faulty one, but it is both. Anyone else have this problem? Do I just need to get the OEM hoses or are there some better connectors or another solution anyone knows of? Thanks in advance.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Is there any way to tighten them, how do the hose ends look, and did you happen to try worm gear clamps as a temporary fix?

comerz1

Reaction score
I think he is talking about the "quick connect" style ends. I delete these every chance I can. They are just prone to failure, being aftermarkets only increase the failure rate. Just buy some NPT nipples in the correct size, standard heater hose, and hose clamps. You will be glad you did.

MassRCDude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pull off the connector and look inside it. You should be able to see o-rings that seal around the heater core.
aug_07_techlink_fig12.jpg

this is a fuel like, but it's the same concept. A and C are rubber o-rings and B is a plastic retaining ring. Hope this helps! :)

The rubber and plastic may be swapped....i'm not 100%, but regardless, there will be o-rings in there.

oh1yukonslt

Wikitsikone
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the "quick connect" style ends. I delete these every chance I can. They are just prone to failure, being aftermarkets only increase the failure rate. Just buy some NPT nipples in the correct size, standard heater hose, and hose clamps. You will be glad you did.

X2 I have deleted these before also. Busted a few of them to. Like you said nipples and correct hose and hose clamps are better IMO

OP
OP
T

txgmc

Reaction score
I did pop out the O-rings from the factory lines and tried to use those but they do not fit. I thought about trying just the hose clamps on the heater core, but there is no lip on the heater core so I worry about the hoses somehow managing to slip off or damaging the heater core from over-tightening the clamps. I did manage to find these which look like they should work though (listed for an 02 so I'm assuming they'll fine for my 05). Now, I wonder if I can break off the retainers on the heater core or if I should just use those.

OP
OP
T

txgmc

Reaction score
I was able to track down the OEM connector part #15059584 and the other hose with the connector built in #15145887. Hopefully my hands won't freeze while I try to install them tonight...or maybe I can hold off another day and hope for a few more degrees of warmth. I will keep you posted.

OP
OP
T

txgmc

Reaction score
Just an FYI, I got the hose and connectors installed and the Hoe back on the road.

OP
OP
T

txgmc

Reaction score
The part numbers I listed above I got from the dealership but I found them much cheaper online. They worked perfectly and made life 110% easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968