HID deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one last question on the harness. do i need 1 harness for each HID bulb or does the harness both? thanks for the help.

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
It looks like they were wired backwards. I turned the plug around and now they both work. The housing's get really hot for 35w. Hopefully they don't melt on me. I'll drive at night with them for the first time tonight.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So DenaliAK, do you think that the 55W's are kinda overkill for everyday night time driving or are they just right? I want some bright lights just don't wanna be flashed at all the time from people thinking I have my brights on? I'm not necessarily talking about just having the lows on or the lows and the fogs on at the same time, just curious on your take on the brightness of them!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Riviera: For general, everyday driving for most people, I think 55w is way overkill. Any kind of city driving, it's just not necessary. 35w low-beam HID's are still a hell of a lot brighter then any halogen lamp, and combine that with city lights and you just don't need more. I do a lot of dark, backwoods highway driving, so I like a LOT of light when I want it, but honestly I think in 95% of people's lives it'd be ridiculous.

I have 35w in my lows with the retro, but I think I could run the 55w bulbs in those. It's so focused I think I could keep from blinding people with the right adjustment. The fogs I don't drive with anytime there is traffic because it just throws light freakin' everywhere. You can actually make out the radius of the light from the reflector, and it shines up a good 25-30 feet...street lights turn off as I drive down the road because they think it's daytime again....lol.

So...the short version is if you have good projectors, you could probably get away with the 55w bulbs with good adjustment on your headlights, but 35w are still brighter then a halogen light and in most cases would be plenty. I wouldn't recommend 55w for fogs if you drive around with them on all the time or ever in traffic. I guarantee you will make enemies quickly.

After taxes this year, I may get a cheap 55w kit to put in my retro just to see how it handles it.

Hope that answered your question.

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Now that mine are working, the 35w is plenty bright for me. Much brighter than stock. I personally have no reason to go to 55w

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riviera: For general, everyday driving for most people, I think 55w is way overkill. Any kind of city driving, it's just not necessary. 35w low-beam HID's are still a hell of a lot brighter then any halogen lamp, and combine that with city lights and you just don't need more. I do a lot of dark, backwoods highway driving, so I like a LOT of light when I want it, but honestly I think in 95% of people's lives it'd be ridiculous.

I have 35w in my lows with the retro, but I think I could run the 55w bulbs in those. It's so focused I think I could keep from blinding people with the right adjustment. The fogs I don't drive with anytime there is traffic because it just throws light freakin' everywhere. You can actually make out the radius of the light from the reflector, and it shines up a good 25-30 feet...street lights turn off as I drive down the road because they think it's daytime again....lol.

So...the short version is if you have good projectors, you could probably get away with the 55w bulbs with good adjustment on your headlights, but 35w are still brighter then a halogen light and in most cases would be plenty. I wouldn't recommend 55w for fogs if you drive around with them on all the time or ever in traffic. I guarantee you will make enemies quickly.

After taxes this year, I may get a cheap 55w kit to put in my retro just to see how it handles it.

Hope that answered your question.

Yes it did, thank you!! Sounds like 35W are in my future for sure!!

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

So also, if all I want is the whitest white I can get out of a set, would you do the 4500's or the 5000's? I don't really want any blue or yellow at all if possible? I am going to do the 35W's if that makes a difference!

Redhoe01

The BDG
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance here but can you help me out with something. Can I just buy the bulbs and put them in or do I need all the ballances and new wiring? As you can tell, I know nothing about lighting/HIDs

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yes it did, thank you!! Sounds like 35W are in my future for sure!!

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

So also, if all I want is the whitest white I can get out of a set, would you do the 4500's or the 5000's? I don't really want any blue or yellow at all if possible? I am going to do the 35W's if that makes a difference!

Short answer for you: 4300-4500 is the whitest and brightest. ;)

To redhoe1: You have to have the ballasts. Just the bulbs won't work. HID's run at voltages that your vehicle can't produce without the ballasts in line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skunkltz