Lower Ball Joints Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @Doubeleive said. Where the control arms bolt in to the frame cradle, use a pry bar and check for abnormal play where the arm bolts in at. Also, lift/jack up the lower arm close to ball joint and get tire about 1" to 2" off ground and get a long pry bar under there and rock everything as much as you can.

A small amount of surface cracking on the bushings is allowable but large cracks/chunks, "isa no goood".

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive I hear you, my current arms are only 3-4 years old so I was going to just try and do the ball joints. Now that I'm thinking about it if I did the whole control arm I could leave everything else connected to knuckle without the need to fit a ball joint press in there I can just slide the lower control arm out and leave the upper ball joints and tie rods connected. I just did the upper control arms a few weeks ago and don't feel good about whacking them out of the knuckle

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver I used the Moog CK control arms, the $120 ones from Rock Auto. Same with the rest of my suspension I used the “good” Moog parts and have to replace most of it already. So far the tie rods seems fine.
Those are the same as ACDelco Professional/Gold. So that's another real world review of those things. They aren't lasting as long as we initially thought they would. How many miles since?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hey Chris and Ken, how long did your Moog/ACDelco control arms last? Who else on here had to replace them?

@iamdub @kbuskill
I installed New Moog CK upper, lower control arms up front on 12/11/20 at 261,241 miles.

The truck still has them on it today with approximately 325K miles. No issues that I am aware of.

Last edited:

2 liter beater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I chose the TTX arm assembly. I don’t have much in the way of mileage but the ball joint had a grease fitting and the whole arm is powder coated. Just do the whole arm and that’s 3 potential problems gone in probably less time.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive I hear you, my current arms are only 3-4 years old so I was going to just try and do the ball joints. Now that I'm thinking about it if I did the whole control arm I could leave everything else connected to knuckle without the need to fit a ball joint press in there I can just slide the lower control arm out and leave the upper ball joints and tie rods connected. I just did the upper control arms a few weeks ago and don't feel good about whacking them out of the knuckle
Now, you are catching on. :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbower11