MACHO's 2011 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegasf6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its just a fancy way of saying chrome plated plastic. When you chrome plate metal you deposit the metal electrically, the piece you want to plate is the anode in the circuit and the chrome is a bath. It naturally wants to travel towards the anode when you apply a current.

When you plate plastic instead it's a vapor deposited process where the metal is actually vaporized. I dunno, that's as technical as I can get with it from memory.

So essentially every reflector inside the light is what I am talking about. It seems the process is done just a little bit sloppier and thinner in the replica so you know how when you see chrome plastic that has been out in the sun for years and years it looks faded? I think there is a chance that this plastic might do that sooner than oem. But then, it is somewhat protected from the sun by the red lens, and plus I just might be talking out my ass :)

Either way, the leds themselves are directional in that the light from them mostly travels in an outward directions. If in fact those chrome reflectors lose their reflectivity then MAYBE the total luminous output will be reduced by 10 or 20 percent.

Just trying to be thorough, but probably not a concern.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WhoA Chris, that's way over my pay grade :lol:

So this has to do specifically with the plastic in the LED's in the replica light...And thus isn't a concern for your mod, bc you switch them to higher quality Led's? Or is this on the "metal"-looking, plastic part that the LEDs mount to?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a HUGE Exaggeration........and of course these are not the real parts.......

but he means the quality of the reflective finish is different in the Replicas.

A lot a older US cars from the 80's had REALLY AWFUL reflectors in their cars. A lot used just plain old silver paint.

We have come a long way now.....thanks to the Japanese and Germans kicking our ass in quality control.

235762996.jpg

A13315AR-7889-xl.jpg

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Over time they fade, though the red lens will block the damage and you can't see it. However the lens will also protect the reflector from fading much and any fading is negligible.

Even in headlights where the lens is clear..... the lens gets cloudy wayyyy before the reflectors get faded.

Vegasf6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Lee has a good handle in it. Thanks bud!
I'm pretty sure it's a nonissue.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

By the way, that first example you posted is that even a reflector? It looks like a drip pan from a stove top. Hah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968