Purchased a 2007 Yukon XL, now to make it reliable!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool all! I’m going to keep this thread up to date with items as they get replaced. Thank you all for the helpful pointers.

In a second note. I noticed some ticking coming from the passenger side that doesn’t seem to happen on the driver side. I’m concerned that it’s lifter tick but can’t confirm yet. Here is a video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dgOSdkDrU2mqfiVGeBoJmD7jv4-qYq4j/view?usp=drivesdk
best to upload videos to youtube and then copy & paste the link to here. we don't have time to be messing around asking for access, yada yada
this website does not host any video content.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! New around here as I’ve just purchased myself and the family a 2007 with 190k miles on it. The primary use for this is going to be for the kiddos getting around.

This truck doesn’t seem to have too many issue from what I can tell. I crawled all around it to inspect and find anything of concern. Not too much from what I can tell but here is what I’ve found.

- small oil leak underneath the engine, near the oil filter (see picture). I’ve heard it can leak from all sorts of places here. Could be a valve cover gasket or the rear main seal.
- rotors need to be replaced.
- light shaking at 80 mph, hard to pinpoint the issue. No play in the suspension or steering components. This could be just a wheel balance issue.

So that this can serve us well and be reliable for the foreseeable future. I plan on doing the following.

Drain and replace all fluids to start us off at a good baseline.
1. Oil and filter
2. Brake fluid
3. Coolant
4. Transmission fluid (sounds like you can get about 60% of it if you drop the transmission fluid case)
5. Front/back diff fluid

Replace front and rear brake pads and rotors
The rotors are obviously warped. I can feel the slow pulse as I come to a stop. So front and back rotors are being replaced with power stop rotors and pads.

Suspension/steering linkage
I want to attempt to address that small shake. At the very least tighten things up a bit.
1. Replace front inner/outer tie rods
2. Replace ball joints
4. Replace sway bar bushings
5. Replace stabilization bars

A/C and Cooling
I’ve heard that it’s good to get these hoses replaced to reduce chance of coolant failure.
1. Top and bottom radiator hose
2. Cooling T
3. Serpentine belts
4. Small tensor for the AC belt.

Nothing else planned yet but I’m sure I’ll find more as I go along. Let me know if you have any recommendations to check or replace. Thanks!

View attachment 434213
I would clean all that up with some degreaser and pressure wash it then eyeball it daily until you see fresh oil, you can take the transmission inspection plate off and look up in there with a flashlight and tilting mirror to be sure the rear main is or is not leaking, as mentioned already the oil cooler block off plate is a common culprit.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! New around here as I’ve just purchased myself and the family a 2007 with 190k miles on it. The primary use for this is going to be for the kiddos getting around.

This truck doesn’t seem to have too many issue from what I can tell. I crawled all around it to inspect and find anything of concern. Not too much from what I can tell but here is what I’ve found.

- small oil leak underneath the engine, near the oil filter (see picture). I’ve heard it can leak from all sorts of places here. Could be a valve cover gasket or the rear main seal.
- rotors need to be replaced.
- light shaking at 80 mph, hard to pinpoint the issue. No play in the suspension or steering components. This could be just a wheel balance issue.

So that this can serve us well and be reliable for the foreseeable future. I plan on doing the following.

Drain and replace all fluids to start us off at a good baseline.
1. Oil and filter
2. Brake fluid
3. Coolant
4. Transmission fluid (sounds like you can get about 60% of it if you drop the transmission fluid case)
5. Front/back diff fluid

Replace front and rear brake pads and rotors
The rotors are obviously warped. I can feel the slow pulse as I come to a stop. So front and back rotors are being replaced with power stop rotors and pads.

Suspension/steering linkage
I want to attempt to address that small shake. At the very least tighten things up a bit.
1. Replace front inner/outer tie rods
2. Replace ball joints
4. Replace sway bar bushings
5. Replace stabilization bars

A/C and Cooling
I’ve heard that it’s good to get these hoses replaced to reduce chance of coolant failure.
1. Top and bottom radiator hose
2. Cooling T
3. Serpentine belts
4. Small tensor for the AC belt.

Nothing else planned yet but I’m sure I’ll find more as I go along. Let me know if you have any recommendations to check or replace. Thanks!

View attachment 434213
also add power steering & brake fluid flush to that, commonly overlooked.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New link! Totally understandable.

doesn't sound terrible you could try some snake oil treatment with a couple quick back to back oil changes and see if it clears it up any.
after all it is a 07 with near 200k on it, you can expect some rotational noise.
if a treatment or two doesn't work then you could pull the valve covers and see if anything rears it's head.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New link! Totally understandable.

kinda sounds more like exhaust to me in the video but I could just be overly optimistic.

if you're sure all the header bolts are still there it's sadly time to budget for the common top end repairs.

Some guys do have good luck with Marvel Mystery Oil, but I believe that's more with stuck afm lifters and getting them to unstick before damage is done. yours doesn't sound like that to me thou, so might not do much.

I'm dreading the day mine eats itself, at 160k now. I know it's coming. I don't even mind the work so much as the lack of being about to get ahold of any quality parts to replace them with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lacebm2