Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well f*ck. Yesterday the trans didn’t downshift a couple times, I had to stop and manually shift into first. It threw DTC P0785, 3-2 shift solenoid electrical issue. I talked to Ryan at Performabuilt and he said it’s probably the shift solenoid but it could be the PCM isn’t commanding a downshift. I need to do a datalog and have someone read it to see if it’s the latter. I’ll use the Autocal to do that and send the file to @BlackBearPerf but I know that will take weeks. I went ahead and ordered the solenoid and some ATF. I’ll probably change out the solenoid while I wait to hear back from them. It’s supposed to be 102 for a few days coming up so I’ll probably wait until after that passes before I do this. Who knows, maybe changing that out will fix it and I’ll get lucky. At least this can be fixed without pulling the trans. Still sucks though. :mad:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well f*ck. Yesterday the trans didn’t downshift a couple times, I had to stop and manually shift into first. It threw DTC P0785, 3-2 shift solenoid electrical issue. I talked to Ryan at Performabuilt and he said it’s probably the shift solenoid but it could be the PCM isn’t commanding a downshift. I need to do a datalog and have someone read it to see if it’s the latter. I’ll use the Autocal to do that and send the file to @BlackBearPerf but I know that will take weeks. I went ahead and ordered the solenoid and some ATF. I’ll probably change out the solenoid while I wait to hear back from them. It’s supposed to be 102 for a few days coming up so I’ll probably wait until after that passes before I do this. Who knows, maybe changing that out will fix it and I’ll get lucky. At least this can be fixed without pulling the trans. Still sucks though. :mad:
I had the similar problem with my van. Swapping both solenoids did the trick.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for el lady
Not with my transfer case. There’s one dude who makes-or made- an adapter but I don’t think he’s making them anymore and they’re $600-800 iirc if I could even find one which I don’t think I can.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Weeks for BB to get back with you? I think you have a good chance it's the solenoid since the performabuilt was probably built with all new solenoids. Sounds backwards but I have heard the new aftermarket ones are hit and miss compared to the original solenoids.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week when I replaced the broken stereo mount I got the column cover pinched when I installed the dash bezel and it got all bent out of shape so today I pulled the steering wheel, removed the cover and used a heat gun to get it back in shape. Only problem was the little clip that holds the narrow part together back behind the steering shifter boot was broken. I drilled a couple tiny holes and used a piece of wire to tie it together. It bothers me, and the new cover is $60 for a black aftermarket one. The 99-02’s are different of course- the 03-06 are easy to find cheap. I might wait until I can get to a wrecking yard.

Attachments

• 27BF0DB5-B392-44C8-A3AB-BE7B4E800391.jpeg
    27BF0DB5-B392-44C8-A3AB-BE7B4E800391.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 5
  • F1D61D99-A306-4EE9-A24C-222BD448F0A7.jpeg
    F1D61D99-A306-4EE9-A24C-222BD448F0A7.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you know why its so expensive?
I guess because it’s hard to make, idk. The shafts are different sizes/ splines and the adapter was supposedly hard to machine and the guy had to get something like 50 orders before the place would tool up for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMCO