Sunroof is acting up, is the dealer full of crap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IH8ZOMBIES

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I opened my sunroof today and everything seemed fine, when I closed it about 3 hours later it would not close completely. Initially I thought something had fallen into the track but didn't see anything. then I noticed that there are 2 little pieces of plastic (no idea what they are called, they are kind of arched) that the glass glides over in order to completely close, both of them had snapped. I was able to pull down the metal (wind?) screen and get the roof closed. I called the Chevy dealer by me to get the part and they told me I may need a whole new module because these two things are riveted in and if they install it parts plus labor would be 1000+ which would eat away at what i am saving for a 6.0 swap. Any idea if I can just super glue these two pieces of plastic back together?

Sorry if this does not make sense I can post pictures later if that helps

Thanks guys

Phantomx55

Slow
Reaction score
I have the same problem on mine, and have heard plenty of similar stories. Both plastic arms broke off mine and I have to hold wind deflector down when I close. I usually just use my sun roof for the vent only, not worth the fix in my opinion.

I'm sure someone smart can chime in with there own way of rigging it back up

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are these sunroofs dealer installed or true factory originals? i have a dealer installed one, done by ASC and the module went out, it controls the automated features and tells the roof when its closed. well they want $700 for the module, the whole roof installed only cost my $1000!!!

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't hurt if you are not to generous with the super glue. I do not know what the parts are but maybe you can get a track or something from a wrecked vehicle way cheaper than what the dealer wants to charge. They are hurting right now (more than likely) and are probably trying to nickel and dime you.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't hurt if you are not to generous with the super glue. I do not know what the parts are but maybe you can get a track or something from a wrecked vehicle way cheaper than what the dealer wants to charge. They are hurting right now (more than likely) and are probably trying to nickel and dime you.

i wouldnt use super glue. i would use some 2 part epoxy made for plastic or maybe plastic weld them?

OP
OP
I

IH8ZOMBIES

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are these sunroofs dealer installed or true factory originals? i have a dealer installed one, done by ASC and the module went out, it controls the automated features and tells the roof when its closed. well they want $700 for the module, the whole roof installed only cost my $1000!!!

Mine is factory. One guy I talked to at the dealer said super glue might work but without looking at the hoe they wouldn't be able to know for sure. They said it would take 2 hours of diagnosis to tell me if they could fix it. Sounds like a giant waste of time but a good way for them to make money.

Last edited:

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is factory. One guy I talked to at the dealer said super glue might work but without looking at the hoe they wouldn't be able to know for sure. They said it would take 2 hours of diagnosis to tell me if they could fix it. Sounds like a giant waste of time but a good way for them to make money.

so what if it doesnt work? will you get your money back? i would take the thing apart and figure it myself. i was thinking of building my own module but i just havent had time

OP
OP
I

IH8ZOMBIES

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so what if it doesnt work? will you get your money back? i would take the thing apart and figure it myself. i was thinking of building my own module but i just havent had time

If it doesn't work they will prob just keep my money. I don't want to pay them a 100+ to fix it if it is only going to break again. I am going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure a better and hopefullycheaper fix than the dealer is offering. Seems like it should be simple but it always seems that way at first.

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt use super glue. i would use some 2 part epoxy made for plastic or maybe plastic weld them?

You are right. Epoxy would probably be better. I got some loctite plastic expoxy holding my DRL's in now. Solid as a rock. Forgot all about the epoxy. Would just have to make sure to use the quick set stuff and maybe a small set of clamps to hold it in while it cures.

OP
OP
I

IH8ZOMBIES

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are right. Epoxy would probably be better. I got some loctite plastic expoxy holding my DRL's in now. Solid as a rock. Forgot all about the epoxy. Would just have to make sure to use the quick set stuff and maybe a small set of clamps to hold it in while it cures.

Went to the dealer and although the look like plastic they are actually aluminum so maybe J-B Weld would work best. The tech said I could remove the pop up wind screen and it would close and still seal but I think I am just going to leave it alone for now.
The only way to fix it completely is to get a new module and I don't use the sunroof enough to justify 800+ for just parts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarRa