Towing/Mileage concerns for '02-'06 Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f150crewcab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a '02 to '06 Yukon to tow the family and a 5000-6000# travel trailer (camper). It will also be my daily commuter and hunting vehicle.

What are some general (major) mechanical concerns for these model years that I should watch out for? At what mileage, generally speaking, should I be concerned about the engine and tranny? In other words, if I buy a model with 100K or more miles, am I just asking for trouble with towing the camper?

Thanks!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting an XL or suburban with at least a 6.0 if you are gonna tow that trailer much at all!! Longer wheel base and strong motor!! Might as well get a denali and pull in luxury!!:)

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XL FOR SURE! My XL tows the trailer SO much nicer than the Tahoe.. If it was taken care of 100k i s nothing to worry about.

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shorter wheel base on the Tahoe makes is more unfriendly for towing. The big thing to look at is tires. Make sure they are a LT or load range D to make sure you can handle the weight. Also make sure that you get weight distribution and sway control. This will affect how you tow and with your camper reaching 6,000 it is required or you will overload your hitch. Generally bigger is better but I like the 5.3 snappy and gets the Tahoe going. What kind of trips? Short local? Heading on 2 week long road trip etc. Sorry about the long winded response but I work at an RV dealership and I have seen it all the good the bad and the ugly. Do NOT get a NNBS if you are going to tow a trailer needing Weight and sway as you will have an added cost to get a drop shank to extend the hitch further down as it is tucked in the bumper and not below the bumper. Oh and make sure it has a brake controller we only sell Tekonsha and I love them in all our shop trucks and my Tahoe.

OP
OP
F

f150crewcab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thus far, the XL/Suburban is the recommendation. Not surprising, actually. Good tips on the tires. The trips will probably be mostly local (i.e. within 4 hours); but the boss/wife wants to take a trip the national parks out west (we live on the east coast), so a very long road trip is in the works over the next few years...trying to think ahead.

What is NNBS? Sounds like something with the receiver hitch set-up and that I should look for a receiver hitch that is below the bumper. I will use a weight distribution and anti-sway hitch.

Thanks again for the tips.

HiMileage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
x 2 on the LT tires and brake controller. I have 04 Yukon with 5.3, wish it had more torque for towing, but overall use sounds similar to your plans. Took the west national parks tour last summer pulling camper and had no problems, even in mountains. You just have to drive at a more relaxed pace. Currently have 190k miles and no engine or transmission problems. Hope to keep it that way!

NNBS refers to 07 and newer body style.

Last edited:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thus far, the XL/Suburban is the recommendation. Not surprising, actually. Good tips on the tires. The trips will probably be mostly local (i.e. within 4 hours); but the boss/wife wants to take a trip the national parks out west (we live on the east coast), so a very long road trip is in the works over the next few years...trying to think ahead.

What is NNBS? Sounds like something with the receiver hitch set-up and that I should look for a receiver hitch that is below the bumper. I will use a weight distribution and anti-sway hitch.

Thanks again for the tips.

NNBS means New New Body Style aka 07-12
NBS mean 02-06

you preferably want one that came withe the tow package... aka (6 pig plug, Hitch, and trans cooler)

recommendations... a darn near must for a travel trailer is a good Equalizer sway control hitch.. will keep the truck and trailer riding level and prevent sway when passing Simi Trucks and gusts of wind..

trailer brake controllers are easy to wire with these trucks.. if your truck doesnt have the stock pig tail under the passenger seat or glove box any dealer has them for $15 and it wires to your controller and plugs right in under the steering wheel...

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect example today. A guy from Montana drove to MN to buy a little air stream but still a heavy trailer dry of almost 4,000 pounds he had a standard 2" drop hitch and a 2 5/16" ball. He was wondering why he couldn't go more than 40 with his Suburban NBS. 10 minutes in the parts room showing him the E2 hitch made by equalizer and he was sold 1 hour later on the road and called us from near the South Dakota border thanking us for assisting them. Weight and Sway and Equalizer is what we sell exclusively now. Reese has been getting cheaper and uses Chinese steel. Made in the USA does still mean something.

Magnumac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hate towing with my XL. It handles it fine but needs a lot more torque. I guess thats what the Ford is for. I would get a 3/4 ton unit if towing more than a couple hundred miles a year. I know people do it and have good luck with a 1/2 ton, every time I pull more than 5000 with the yukon i'm gritting my teeth waiting for the tranny to let loose. Just my two cents.

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duramax crew cab dude. You're going to hate the fuel mileage you get out of a 6.0 XL if you tow that trailer very often. I learned that from experience getting 8-10 mpg out of a 6.0 burb pulling a 5200lb trailer at 65mph. I decided to make the change when my buddies crew cab dirtymax pulling an identicle trailer got closer to 15 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52