truck wont go into 3rd or 4th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aztec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon with 140000 miles on it and the transmission would not go into 3rd gear. the RPMS go all the way to 4000 but it wont go into 3rd.
After accelerating and letting off the gas then it would shift back to 2nd.
so i have to go 40 miles/hr and you can hear the truck being forced.
it was doing fine all this time, so this morning i accelerated real rough and after that didnt want to go anymore.
i have absolutely no indications beforehand that a problem might be forthcoming
never had a problem with this truck.

i am hoping is something electrical or a sensor maybe.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe time for a rebuild. Mine did the same out of nowhere one of my cooler lines went and after fixing that 2 days later trans went. I forgot if mine did the same or only 1st gear and reverse. Either way good luck.

OP
OP
A

aztec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks pachanga02, but can this happend out of a 3 sec rough acceleration?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most certainly it can. If you have a weak park and you stand on it, it can and will break.

N2snow2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
04 yukon 5.3 hybrid bad trans

Sorry to hijack this one but can anyone tell me is there a diferance in the 5.3 hybrid transmission and a 5.3 non hybrid transmission

N2snow2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess it is it can run e85 and says hybrid on the title I've been checking salvage yards and the listings say hybrid or non hybrid would like to have a rebuilt trans put in they want $1600 for tranny and labor but because they have the trans on the shelf but they won't know if there is a diferance till they take it out

abishoff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that issue on my k3500 with a 4l80e. I replaced the shift solenoids and that fixed it.

eeehabt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon with 140000 miles on it and the transmission would not go into 3rd gear. the RPMS go all the way to 4000 but it wont go into 3rd.
After accelerating and letting off the gas then it would shift back to 2nd.
so i have to go 40 miles/hr and you can hear the truck being forced.
it was doing fine all this time, so this morning i accelerated real rough and after that didnt want to go anymore.
i have absolutely no indications beforehand that a problem might be forthcoming
never had a problem with this truck.

i am hoping is something electrical or a sensor maybe.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, The gearbox contains two shift solenoids, one for the 1st & 2nd, and the other is for the 3rd & 4th. Your problem is a blown shift solenoid. The pan is to be taken out and the solenoid replaced. That's it

Bigvern55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2002 has the same problem but when i floor it and it revs up itll then shift into 3rd but as soon as i let off it down shifts back to second any suggestions??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts