Want to take my 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 180,000 miles for a family trip from Michigan To Florida - Can you help me make this a success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to go down this rabbit hole over the next couple of weeks and do some overkill with it because I'm a little curious and interested. My brother used to do a bunch with acoustics, so I'm going to give it a go.

I agree that it's pretty quiet in the Denali. I don't have much in expectations going in, but I'll see what's there already. The one thing I will say though is that when I'm in the Denali and using my bluetooth headset (vs the in truck mic), it picks up enough wind noise that it's ANC distorts my voice so that people on the other side cannot clearly understand me. When I'm in my wife's Acura, I don't have this issue. I'm sure it's nothing and I'll make little progress here, but if sounds like a fun project.

Are there better mics than the stock mic when using bluetooth in the Yukon? Even that one sounds terrible on the other side.

Are phone app dB apps accurate enough to do a before and after?
I use my AirPods when I have to be on the phone behind the wheel. The transparency setting keeps me aware of traffic but the ANC on the mic is killer.

Aquamania001

Reaction score
Ok, got the spare off. It's all a rusted mess. What do you think? Should I be getting a new wheel since it's pretty rusted up?

What do you think of the hoist? Should I be looking to replace any of the parts or should I put some penetrant or lubrication on it before I re-secure the tire?
I can tell you take that "hook" off that holds the spare up there. It is to prevent an accidental drop off. However mine had my tire stuck! I had to take it too my indy to have him put a new one on without that "hook".

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a new question - I'm trying to get the most out of my Bose system in the Denali but don't want to replace the stock amp or head unit before I leave for my trip as I need to do a lot more reading about some of the issues like steering wheel controls, etc.

But I am interested in making a first step by upgrading the speakers and perhaps looking at the rest of the system next year.

First - is this even possible to make the system sound better without swapping out the stock amp? If it is possible, can you suggest some good speakers to upgrade to?

I don't really know anything here, so any advice would be great!

My kids and I spend a lot of time in the truck and we like our music loud, crisp and sounding amazing!

I'm good with spending some money on this if the sound quality improves significantly.
IMO The caveat with the Bose system is it’s a Boses system (heavily integrated) and it’s a 1.8olm setup. So they’re sacrificing higher volume levels for better sound quality. Upgrading your headunit can get you more options to tweak your Bose system to your liking without losing wheel controls. I upgraded to this android setup a few years ago and it’s absolutely amazing, I couldn’t ever go back to the OEM. It opens Pandora’s box to the google apps store for different EQ’s and tons of other things you shouldn’t be doing while your driving ie. YouTube, Netflix,Disney +… I’d also grab one of those cheap harbor freight tool kits and put store it in the 3rd row hidden cup holder compartment. You be surprised in how much trouble you can get into with a ratchet, 10,13,15mm socket and a few wrenches

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the Denali's have additional sound deadening materials and insulation already installed. I know ours are both very quiet going down the highway. I've never felt the need to upgrade the sound insulation in either of ours. Makes me wonder what the difference between it and SLT/SLE models really is.

I'd like to know the same about my LTZ versus Escalade and the LT and LS models. That's some obscure info that only James @swathdiver might know.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you take that "hook" off that holds the spare up there. It is to prevent an accidental drop off. However mine had my tire stuck! I had to take it too my indy to have him put a new one on without that "hook".
I didn't take the hook off...that's just the assembly as it's hanging to the ground. My tire never really got stuck...I did have to give it a soft kick and then it released pretty easily.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO The caveat with the Bose system is it’s a Boses system (heavily integrated) and it’s a 1.8olm setup. So they’re sacrificing higher volume levels for better sound quality. Upgrading your headunit can get you more options to tweak your Bose system to your liking without losing wheel controls. I upgraded to this android setup a few years ago and it’s absolutely amazing, I couldn’t ever go back to the OEM. It opens Pandora’s box to the google apps store for different EQ’s and tons of other things you shouldn’t be doing while your driving ie. YouTube, Netflix,Disney +… I’d also grab one of those cheap harbor freight tool kits and put store it in the 3rd row hidden cup holder compartment. You be surprised in how much trouble you can get into with a ratchet, 10,13,15mm socket and a few wrenches
Wow!!!! What is this!?!

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not expecting to have this much "latte" in my oil catch can after only 250 miles. Is that possible? The picture is a little misleading - it covers the entire bottom and is up the sides about 1/8”.

When I looked after about 100 miles it was just straight oil (wish I had taken a picture).

20231211_201224.jpg

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the same about my LTZ versus Escalade and the LT and LS models. That's some obscure info that only James @swathdiver might know.
There is RPO BS1 acoustic package that the Denali and Escalade have, but the LTZ does not have. Taking the Escalade out of the equation (different dash and door panels, and 2011 and up have laminated front door glass), the only difference I see between a Denali and LTZ are the door panels. The Denali has vinyl in the upper door insert, and vinyl on the door handles that also surround the window switches. Other than that, I don't see what else this 'BS1' code is.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!!!! What is this!?!
I bought it on Aliexpress, they call them “Tesla style android head units”. They’re basically unbranded tablets formed to fit the dash that communicate with the vehicle via canbus. You can find them on eBay and Amazon but the best price is buying it from china through aliexpress or Alibaba. If you or anyone else is interested in one of these android head units I’d highly recommend joining their private Facebook group. It’s about the only place you’ll find support or trouble shooting help if you run into issues or need help figuring things out. The group founder also writes custom firmware upgrades to correct some of the loose ends and custom background styles. It has a very similar to this forums atmosphere, very active with a wide
knowledge base and quick to help out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1