What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This tool is not good for those 1/2 heater lines. It did not slide into the line even after I spit on it and hit it with the sauce. So I did what i should have done Sunday, cut the section of below the ac drier, ran 1/2" gates heater hose and some clamps. Problem solved. I'm just going to use some of the hose clamps I ordered tomorrow to tidy up the routing of the new hose. Probably get some pics up also.

Whale, shit. I wonder if those aluminum lines are thicker than normal, making the ID too small. Maybe the tool can be modded?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In May of 2021 I replaced the oil pressure sender (at 227k miles) but I doubt that would be the culprit since I've changed the oil several times since then. I did make a ~1,900 total mile road trip to southern CO and back the last week of June, I wonder if running the motor that hard that long might have had something to do with it. I changed the oil when I got home and sent it off to Blackstone which is what I posted above.

Yeah, that sensor replaced 2+ years ago isn't gonna affect anything now. Something recently replaced that contains brass (fittings) or solder could introduce trace amounts of lead. That was my one hopeful crack at it.

Highway cruising is about the easiest you could be on an engine. If your trip included steady elevation gains, foothills, mountain roads, etc., then there would be plenty of higher loads on the engine. But, if those caused your leads levels to spike, I'd be questioning the quality of the oil or the pumping system. Given the low pressure symptoms you mentioned in the past and now this, I'd be playing it safe and saving for a replacement short block or rebuild.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pulled the HVAC control last night and disassembled in prep for backlighting bulb replacement. I'm not sure if I'll do them all, or just the four that are burned out. Saving the work for this afternoon when it's hot outside.

Before: the button lights are easy to tell, but can't really tell on the two dial backlight bulbs.

HVAC Head.jpg

Powered up on the table:

HVAC Bulbs.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Pulled the HVAC control last night and disassembled in prep for backlighting bulb replacement. I'm not sure if I'll do them all, or just the four that are burned out. Saving the work for this afternoon when it's hot outside.

Before: the button lights are easy to tell, but can't really tell on the two dial backlight bulbs.

View attachment 404899

Powered up on the table:

View attachment 404903
Might as well do them all while you're at it.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed my suspension clunk.

Totally my fault and could have been catastrophic. I'm a dumbass. So, rewind to 2017 when i'm launching the parts cannon to try and fix my steering issues which later turned out to be an upside down centerlink thanks to the clowns at Firestone that did my tie rod ends. Before I figured that out (always gotta thank @SnowDrifter for the post) I decided to do hubs, lower BJ, and UCA w/BJ.

Couldn't get the darn spindle to separate from the lower BJ and every YouTube I saw had someone hitting it with a BFH. I tried and tried, no luck. Apparently, when I was banging on it, I also banged on the top of it and compressed the metal to where the brake line bracket bolt wouldn't screw in. Here's the idiot move - I just sent it. That's right, for 6+ years, that brake line bracket was loose and flopping around.

Fast forward to the last 6 months or so and I have this super odd clunk in the front left. Every time I'd grease the suspension, it would go away for a day or so. Hrm. Well, I'm doing a big 5, similar to @iamdub on his NNBS and was looking under my truck to see how he had one ground going from the PS bracket to the motor mount and what caught my eye? The damned brake line bracket caught up under the upper BJ. Ugh, not good.

Ordered some taps and went out today to get that bracket secure. All bolted down, now. I need to order some upper BJ boots or might just send it again and get full UCA's.

My mind can only think that if I kept driving like that, the lines could have worn through and I'd have NO BRAKES! Counting my blessings that it didn't happen in the last 6 years. Is Powerball jackpot huge again? Whew.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 404899

Powered up on the table:

View attachment 404903
Dang I really need to do mine=(. Bulbs and new soldering station have been in garage about 3 months now.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Might as well do them all while you're at it.

You know, Tony, at first I was going to replace just the ones that were out. However, I installed the first four and, lo and behold, another was out! Some of them were intermittent and it was a bit like Whack-a-Mole, so I did them all. Not a difficult job, but I think I may need to get a stronger optical prescription or a magnifier light.

Thanks to @mattbta for sending the connector pinout so I didn't have to fish for the pins to connect the 12v supply for testing. The main connector is the same as the cluster connector, just a different color. And kudos to www.carradiobulbs.com for having the correct bulbs as a kit. LMC Truck also sells the bulbs, I think.

After all bulbs replaced and blue filters installed:
20230728_3 control bulbs with blue filters.jpg

Back in the truck, dimmed slightly:
20230728_4 HVAC installed - dimmed.jpg

New bulb (left, as if you couldn't tell) vs old (well done) bulb:
20230728_1 New bulb - old bulb.jpg

All the old bulbs and filters. I was surprised that none of the filters had melted to the glass, so I have these as spares now.
20230728_1a all old bulbs.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMCO

Latest posts