Where are we mounting our fire extinguishers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which brings up a broader question. What is everyone using for a fire extinguisher in their trucks?
I just got a 4-pack of Kidde ABC extinguishers- $75 at Amazon; one for each car and 2 for the house. I see they're down to $68 right now.

If any of y'all know, what's their shelf-life, assuming the needle's still in the green.

joe

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a 4-pack of Kidde ABC extinguishers- $75 at Amazon; one for each car and 2 for the house. I see they're down to $68 right now.

If any of y'all know, what's their shelf-life, assuming the needle's still in the green.

joe
Good question. I assume they’re still okay. I’ve read on the interwebz, so it must be true, that the dry chemical can settle over time. Dunno. Since mine is horizontal, I do flip it over occasionally to let it settle the other way.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine are maybe a little over 2 years old still show dead center green
I keep 1 under the kitchen sink and 1 right inside the garage door so the kids (and myself) know right where they are
a 3rd one is one that goes in a vehicle as desired.
i will quiz the kids once in a while just to make sure they remember where they are if needed

RoadTrip

Reaction score
probably better off with a real extinguisher, just think for a moment a fire is hot right? that little stick has to be right up on it to "maybe" work.
with a extinguisher you can stand back a few feet and blast away with full trigger control.
the stick may work for certain situations but it's mostly a gimmick

Point taken, but total protection would be one (or more) of the Element and traditional.

Many car fires start small, but quickly spread, so the Element is great since it lasts 50 or 100 full seconds (depending on which model) to fully choke out a fire *without* covering everything in chalky powder.

In my personal vehicles I carry only the Element for space savings, but my work vehicles have both. Same with our home.

Given the option, I wouldn’t want to use a traditional extinguisher on fuel spill as the “blast” just pushes the fuel around to larger areas. And knowing I have the Element to tackle both fuel and electrical fires is peace of mind.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point taken, but total protection would be one (or more) of the Element and traditional.

Many car fires start small, but quickly spread, so the Element is great since it lasts 50 or 100 full seconds (depending on which model) to fully choke out a fire *without* covering everything in chalky powder.

In my personal vehicles I carry only the Element for space savings, but my work vehicles have both. Same with our home.

Given the option, I wouldn’t want to use a traditional extinguisher on fuel spill as the “blast” just pushes the fuel around to larger areas. And knowing I have the Element to tackle both fuel and electrical fires is peace of mind.
i'm sure it could work in some situations, but a standard ABC extinguisher is far from ever being replaced.
a standard ABC works instantly and renders most materials unable to reignite. (yes it makes a mess, but works well)

I'm not saying it "wont work" I just think it's not going to be very effective in many circumstances, ya if you can get ahead of a small fire sure, go for it.

Chuma

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I just received a refurbished 5# extinguisher for my 2009 Yukon XL from Farmer Fire in PA. It's been totally rehabbed and comes with current certification AND my commercial (refillable) 5 pounder was only $40 no shipping charge

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm sure it could work in some situations, but a standard ABC extinguisher is far from ever being replaced.
a standard ABC works instantly and renders most materials unable to reignite. (yes it makes a mess, but works well)

I'm not saying it "wont work" I just think it's not going to be very effective in many circumstances, ya if you can get ahead of a small fire sure, go for it.

This is why it's so, so important to plan your emergencies well in advance.

joe

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just make sure my kids know where they're at so that if something happens and I'm not there they can take care of it hopefully

It's also another example of my appreciation for the fact that Mama doesn't freeze or panic.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownUser