Which shocks to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diezelraccoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Needing new front and rear shocks on my 03 rear wheel drive Tahoe. I don’t really want to spend a tone on them. I saw a set of 4 ACdelco gas charged shocks for around $190. I tend to stay away from super cheap ones like Duralast. Just want something that’s gonna give me a comfortable ride like it was when it was new and not spend a time. I’m just a daily driver. Mostly decent roads, sometimes towing on occasion.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You want your cake and eat it too. You get what you pay for. The higher priced ones give you a better feel and are more safe. They also allow the tires to wear longer. I chose KYB shocks on my 05 Z71 but I would have bought the Bilstein shocks. The better quality lasts longer and in the long run save you money.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do your RPO codes include ZW7 and G65? If so, that's the Premium Smooth Ride suspension.

If no G65, then you don't have the self-leveling Nivomat shocks in the rear.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your RPO codes include ZW7 and G65? If so, that's the Premium Smooth Ride suspension.

If no G65, then you don't have the self-leveling Nivomat shocks in the rear.
On my '05 Yukon, I also have the ZW7 " Premium Smooth Ride" suspension.....
But there is a few versions of the" Premium Smooth Ride". I don't have the G67 RPO, for the self-leveling Nivomats ( also called Sachs shocks).
I don't have the air compressor version either..... Just the "Premium Shocks". ( Part # 540-433 ).
Not "self-leveling".
I searched for rear shocks, similar to the originals.... Bilstein describes their version of the #540-433, as " great for off-road, and this version is used on NASCAR race trucks" for better handling.....

That sounds like a very FIRM shock??

I'm getting the OEM shocks... I'm sure they will be fine, since mine have 175,000 miles ( and seem OK )
Took me about 3 months to decipher all the opinions & get the correct answers, on just "rear shocks", when you tell them the ZW7 - PSR. Who woulda known ??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryankub