Wix v NAPA Gold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was just told that the NAPA Gold oil filter is no longer made by Wix any truth to that??

we buy tons of napa filters and wix filters from different vendors. it seems like some part numbers are the same filter and some aren't. I feel like napa rebrands whatever is the cheapest in that part number. so I don't know if the ls filter is a wix or not since we don't have anything in the fleet that uses those numbers.

but on a side note, both are cheap filters that test badly in these days tests. it honestly doesn't matter. it will be a cheap wix rebrand or another cheap filter rebrand of the same ish quality.

the oem filter is better. or any of the other 3 or brands that test better at trapping small particles while still flowing well.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you find this list?

it's a ribbit hole but donjetman posts links to a few of the tests. the rest is on bob the oil guy or whatever it's called forum.

Basically amsoil, k&n, the top of the line fram and mobil. off the top of my head. the 2nd down fram is considered the best value per dollar.

but again, it probably doesn't really matter.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta remember none of this actually matters, just change your oil. but I blame this forum for this lol. I was a simple throw a wix on it guy too, as it's also what we always use at work, and I've never seen a oil filter related engine failure.

now these guys do a pretty good job of testing it all out. Basically wix gives up stopping really fine particles for less restriction. the xp more than the base. it's been a while and my memory struggles with details but something like 40microns is all they stop(I think donjetman jokingly called the wix rock catchers) where other will go into 20microns. but might give up a little flow for it. which makes sense in the xp line, as it's sold as a racing filter where the engine is at at high rpm/high flow rates. they need the flow to keep it off bypass. once in bypass it's filtering nothing but my truck is never at high rpm, so the non xp is probably the better choice for me. but I said eh and just switched to the high end fram and amsoil for my ls3 car.

here's a few of the tests. remember when looking at the results, the one that has less of the smaller particles at the end did a better job of filtering them out. it's a little misleading the way it's presented.

https://youtu.be/E-3Q_5RVogA?si=PuvtzAM8OGULZNfl

again it doesn't matter. but defaulting to the latest oem acdelco probably isn't a bad idea over a xp filter marketed to racing engines.

edit* also remember even within the brand different part numbers will test differently. so unless it's the exact part number you're using, take any test with a grain is salt. but you can usually find the micron ratings buried on their website somewhere if you look hard enough. but these are claimed ratings, there's no official testing like with oils

DamThatRiver24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious as to what the efficiency ratings of those are. For example, I use K&N Gold filters, which according to that have the best Micron rating...but I have no idea what the efficiency is at that size. Micron rating is pretty useless without efficiency rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiddleNel2son

Latest posts