Yet another reason to keep driving an older vehicle....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the issues we've heard of lately about GM's shortcomings on vehicles that cost as much as a starter home, it makes me happy to still own vehicles I can repair. Within a few years, those that want the brand new, shiny stuff may be at the mercy of the stealership for just about anything....... Yikes!!!

Below is a link to an interesting article about some 2024 models of a different brand.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That absolutely blows. I've been hearing about this before and it seems like it's going widespread.

What I don't get is why increase the prices but you get lower reliability and serviceability; it's like you pay more to get less. All in the name of cutting-edge technology, right? Mind boggling TBH.

Home appliances and manufactured goods are no better. It's getting sad :-(

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That absolutely blows. I've been hearing about this before and it seems like it's going widespread.

What I don't get is why increase the prices but you get lower reliability and serviceability; it's like you pay more to get less. All in the name of cutting-edge technology, right? Mind boggling TBH.

Home appliances and manufactured goods are no better. It's getting sad :-(
Robots building products, not humans. And DEI recruits observing the process....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Many stories about the auto manufacture's ECU computer installs..... What else does that computer send through the air waves, and to who??
EXACTLY! Give me a GMT800 or GMT400 any time. Pretty easy to work on and plenty of info out there. Cold Dead Hands!!!!

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the push for monthly charges for options that now just part of the purchase. Like buying a refrigerator that has a built in water filter that has to be changed every six months with a specially designed unit that has to come from the manufacturer, and sure not cheap. Heated seats, navigation, Onstar, wifi service, and who knows what's next.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
And the push for monthly charges for options that now just part of the purchase. Like buying a refrigerator that has a built in water filter that has to be changed every six months with a specially designed unit that has to come from the manufacturer, and sure not cheap. Heated seats, navigation, Onstar, wifi service, and who knows what's next.
But think of it this way, do you really need heated seats, navigation, Onstar, wifi service, etc...? How did we ever get by before? No thank you. It is bad enough they all track you with a cell phone.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
in
in my '05, I disconnected my OnStar box, with an analog replacement. i can use the factory phone setup without the OnStar fees and no more sending of 'signals'.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as it stands now at least you can still pay the $45 for 2 years of module programming thru techline, so that's a money saver all you need is a pc and a pass-thru device like a clone mdi2
gds2 (troubleshooting) is a bit more expensive at $65 for 3 days access, also used with a pass-thru device so there are still alternatives to the "dealer" at least for now
you can get hacked gds2 but it can be a pain in the behind to install and keep running, if you go that route use a dedicated pc that is only for diagnostic use just to be on the safe side

not by any means defending gm they are cheapskates and it shows in the product
compare metal thickness from a gmt800/900 to a k2 or later and that's just the start, the paint is crap the metal get's dinged with the slightest bump, door seals are better but that doesn't stop the road noise. seeing earlier failures on the overall product as well on everything from A~Z.

the paywall crap is just a money grab but eventually aftermarket will work around that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahodge81

Latest posts