99 4wd yukon replacing tranny help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joyride

Reaction score
We got the old one out and the transfer case as well. Problem is we're not sure what's the best way to go about putting it all back together. I've never had to mess with a 4wd and all so I was hoping someone has done this before. When we took the tranny and transfer case out we had it angled as much as we could as we lowered both the tranny and transfer case at the same time. Obviously there isn't enough room to just bolt them together and jack them up at the same time so I'm not sure what to do. I think we're just gonna put the tranny in, and then hope we can maneuver the transfer case in there to fit and line it up to bolt in.

Anyone got any ideas? Thank you very much in advance!

1tonHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah you can get it in there after the transmission is in. You just gota put the tail end of the transfer case up over the torsion bar cross member first, then lift the front into place its a little tricky but can be done.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
yeah you can get it in there after the transmission is in. You just gotta put the tail end of the transfer case up over the torsion bar cross member first, then lift the front into place its a little tricky but can be done.

Ok cool!! Thanks! That's what we were hoping for. We took the center piece off and put it on the tranny first thinking that would be easier. Hopefully it is.

Appreciate it!

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
just curious. anyone got any pics of how the shift linkage looks while in "park" and also where exactly it fits in at the bracket that will hold itself in place also? Hopefully I explained that decent enough for anyone to understand. haha...thanks!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E Removal Procedure

1. Position the steering column transmission shift lever to PARK (P).
  2. Remove the carpet and the carpet retainers on the driver's side to expose the shift cable.
  3. Disconnect the shift cable from the steering column shift control.

1. Disconnect the shift cable from the retainers on the cab floor pan.
  2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Remove the cable retainer from the transmission mounted bracket. Squeeze the cable retainer while pulling the cable towards the rear of the vehicle.
  2. Disconnect the cable end from the transmission shift ball stud.
  3. Position the transmission shift to PARK (P). Rotate the shift clockwise until the lever reaches the full clockwise stop position.
  4. Remove the shift cable from under the fuel line and from the rear transmission bracket.
  5. Note the routing of the shift cable on the vehicle before removal.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. Remove the shift cable grommet from the floor panel.
  8. Remove the shift cable from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

1. Position the steering column transmission shift lever to PARK (P).

1. Ensure that the transmission is in the mechanical park position. Position the transmission range select lever to PARK (P). Rotate the shift clockwise until the lever reaches the full clockwise stop position.
  2. Install the shift cable to the vehicle. Route the cable in the original location noted during removal.

1. Install the shift cable grommet to the floor panel.
  2. Install the shift cable retainers on the cab floor pan.

1. Install the shift cable end to the steering column shift control.
  2. Make sure that the steering column transmission shift lever is in Park (P).
  3. Install the carpet and the carpet retainers on the driver's side.
  4. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Route the range select lever cable under the fuel lines.
  2. Connect the shift cable to the rear transmission bracket.
  3. Install the shift cable retainer to the transmission cable bracket.

1. Remove the black shipping clip from the new shift cable. Discard the clip.
  2. Install the shift cable end to the transmission range select lever. Push the cable end onto the transmission shift lever stud.
  3. Adjust the shift cable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
So we got a new problem now...got everything all buttoned back up, put fluids in...now we're trying to start it, and all it does is crank over, start and run for half a second, and die each time...

any ideas why??

thanks!

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
Hmmm. how likely is it that the fuel pump took a dump on us while we had the yukon down for about a month or so?

the grounds shouldn't be a problem at all. didn't mess with anything up front besides the battery cables.

i'll have to go grab a new fuel pressure gauge/tester as i broke the last one...lol

appreciate it!

btw, fuses look fine

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
thanks. Will do first thing in the morning. Bought a new fuel pressure gauge/tester so we'll see. cable should be fine but if i have to i'll pour some coke over them to clean them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52