Difference in brake Calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxVet33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my trusted local repair shop replace the front/rear brake pads/disks on my 19 Yukon XL SLT and they worked great

Last edited:

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I recently had my trusted local repair shop replace the front/rear brake pads/disks on my 19 Yukon XL SLT. To avoid an accident in front of me I had to jam on the brakes really hard and experienced brake fade and a soiled drivers seat....
Is there a factory upgrade to improve my brake system? Are the police pursuit brake calipers/pads different from standard OEM brake parts?
Thx for any help

ps... Go Vote!!!
")
I believe the ppv setup runs bigger rotors and brembo calipers if I’m not mistaken

slupie

Reaction score
I recently had my trusted local repair shop replace the front/rear brake pads/disks on my 19 Yukon XL SLT. To avoid an accident in front of me I had to jam on the brakes really hard and experienced brake fade and a soiled drivers seat....
Is there a factory upgrade to improve my brake system? Are the police pursuit brake calipers/pads different from standard OEM brake parts?
Thx for any help

ps... Go Vote!!!
")
As far as I know the 2015-2020 PPV brake pads are different compound, maybe slightly harder rotors for severe duty but nothing else is different. If you need more braking power your options are the 6 piston performance clippers and rotors ($$$$) or the 4 piston caliper and rotor retrofit from 2021-2024. there is also a 6 piston PPV caliper option from the 2021-2024 PPV but it is also retrofit not a direct bolt on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx for any help

ps... Go Vote!!!
")
brake fade should not occur under normal conditions, you really have to be working the brakes to get any kind of fade,
I would question said mechanic as to what type and brand of rotors and pads were used, there are super cheap pads out there that are basically junk
also on the K2's there (is/was) a recall for the brake software, I believe the issue was there could be poor brake performance at low speed under certain conditions

OP
OP
TxVet33

TxVet33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a close in wreck (2me) that i did avoid getting into even with the brake fade. I would def call this situation severe. Luckily no one was injured. Again except the drivers seat. Bus for the help guys 1729804512463.png

Walkerfever

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the 2021+ tahoe brake upgrade, 4 pistons, slightly larger rotors, and FANTASTIC performance.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a close in wreck (2me) that i did avoid getting into even with the brake fade. I would def call this situation severe.
You should really stop calling this brake fade. Brake fade is when the brakes overheat to the point that they are no longer able to generate enough friction. Even the lowest base brake system on this generation will easily overcome the available grip from the tires without ABS and they will not heat to the point of brake fade without a LOT of sustained braking over time not just a sudden stop. What you felt was most likely ABS triggering each of the calipers in a pattern and the truck slowing less abruptly then you would like. That's just what it feels like when ABS triggers because it is specifically stopping you from locking up the brakes so that the tires do not lose grip.

OP
OP
TxVet33

TxVet33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should really stop calling this brake fade. Brake fade is when the brakes overheat to the point that they are no longer able to generate enough friction. Even the lowest base brake system on this generation will easily overcome the available grip from the tires without ABS and they will not heat to the point of brake fade without a LOT of sustained braking over time not just a sudden stop. What you felt was most likely ABS triggering each of the calipers in a pattern and the truck slowing less abruptly then you would like. That's just what it feels like when ABS triggers because it is specifically stopping you from locking up the brakes so that the tires do not lose
Have a great Monday!

isp5190

Reaction score
Thx for any help

ps... Go Vote!!!
")
You should have at brake system flushed. I have this done around 70,000 miles. It makes a big difference with the brake pedal feel and stopping. I also upgraded to the PPV brake rotors and ceramic pads. I did all this to our 2009 Tahoe years ago. Have since traded at in.

OP
OP
TxVet33

TxVet33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a complete flush completely new rotors completely new disc by a competent local mechanic that I trust with my life y’all disregard this post or this thread thank y’all for your help. I will look at those heavy duty parts for sure. Thank you. Go vote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krash1030