External Transmission Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBTJ

Reaction score
Any one ever do this on there Tahoe? I have them on all my JEEPS and it makes maintenance much easier. Just wondering who has and what their setup looks like.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought about it but it's easier and cheaper to just install a new pan with a drain.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
Thought about it but it's easier and cheaper to just install a new pan with a drain.

I've done this on my JEEPs that have automatics. It's much easier as you will no longer need to crawl under the truck to drop the pan and make a mess. It's just like changing a oil filter, spin on spin off. I picked out a spot on the Tahoe under the hood on the left side what looks to be a "U" shaped support bracket for the hood. Plenty of space for a filter to mount under it. With this setup, I can change the filter standing up no bolts or a pan to remove and not make a mess. Also, disconnect the input line and pump out ALL the ATF in the system when I need to. With this filter installed you no longer need to change the internal filter. When I actually get it done I will post some pics.

But to give you an idea, here is one on my JEEP.

100_1940.jpg

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a great idea, spin on filters are inexpensive, easy to change, and they will help keep the fluid nice and clean. You will also change them more often. it's a win win. I would use better lines and fittings. The Allison uses a spin on filter. The next time you drop your trans pan and filter could be the last time.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
It's a great idea, spin on filters are inexpensive, easy to change, and they will help keep the fluid nice and clean. You will also change them more often. it's a win win. I would use better lines and fittings. The Allison uses a spin on filter. The next time you drop your trans pan and filter could be the last time.

This setup has been on this TJ for 140k miles. Have another on my 1980 CJ7 that has 360k on the clock. Not sure what a better line and fitting could be, as they seem to hold up well. Can you give me some ideas as I'm about to do this on my new to me 04 Tahoe? I do drop the pan every now and then just to have a look see, all is as clean as a whistle. :)

Last edited:

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following

Want to do this on my other car.
I have a million questions to ask concerning the how to. But I will wait for your write up first.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Transmission, oil, and coolant external filters are all on my to do list. Just gotta get the cash to do it all.

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I did a quick search on using an external filter and now I have some concerns.
Drop in pressure?
By-pass valve?
Having an external filter makes a ton of sense to me...mostly for the ease of maintenance.

Do you place the filter on the return side of the transmission cooler?
What do you do with the internal filter? I assume remove.
Is it worth it to make my own or purchase through a reliable company?

Sorry for the questions. This is my family vehicle and I want to make sure that I have it for a very long time....cant afford to make dumb mistakes.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
Ok, so I did a quick search on using an external filter and now I have some concerns.
Drop in pressure?
By-pass valve?
Having an external filter makes a ton of sense to me...mostly for the ease of maintenance.

Do you place the filter on the return side of the transmission cooler?
What do you do with the internal filter? I assume remove.
Is it worth it to make my own or purchase through a reliable company?

Sorry for the questions. This is my family vehicle and I want to make sure that I have it for a very long time....cant afford to make dumb mistakes.

I use a hydraulic filter made by Wix p/n 51269 that can flow 7-9 GPM which is way more than the system can pump, so no need to worry about drop in pressure. This filter is also full flow which can filter down to 10 microns which is a good thing. All the ATF will be filtered at all times, so there is no need to by pass the filter. You can install the filter any where you want, really doesn't matter. In the JEEP pictured above I plumed in on the output side from the transmission to the radiator. However, on my Tahoe because where I'm going to mount the filter, it will be done on the output from the radiator. The internal filter stays in place, no need to remove it, and I suggest you change it out when installing the external filter. This way you will no longer need to worry about changing that one out and it can filter the ATF as well, although it can't filter down to 10 microns. I have ran an external filter on my first JEEP for 34 years now and the transmission, aTF999, still runs great. Don't think it really matters where you buy the kit from as all the adapters are the same, just different port configs. You will want an adapter that has 3/4" x 16 threads and has a 3/8th's ports for the transmission line connects. You also need to be sure to use an approved transmission oil cooler rubber hose though, as not all rubber hoses are the same. Some kits offer a motor oil filter which is okay but they can only filter down to 19~21 microns. The adapter I ordered is made by Derale p/n DER-13049 as it has the port configuration the way I wanted it. My adapter should be in this week so I will hook it up this coming Saturday and post some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968