Is this frame too late to save ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Five3brian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First time poster, I have a 2009 yukon SLT 5.3

I really want to build this truck and put money into it, but the only thing stopping me is this damn rust. I live in Michigan and got this a few months ago.
It could be worse, but is this worth saving at all?

IMG_5361.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg
IMG_5359.jpeg

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start by poking around everywhere on the frame with a screw driver and see if you can find any soft spots. If there's no soft spots I'd clean it up with a wire wheel the best you can and either por 15 or even rustoleum rust converter as much as you can. Also pickup a bunch of fluid film and spray it inside all the holes in the frame and also anywhere you can't apply the rust converter.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe worst part might be the body mount areas in the floor pan. Those areas are shaped so they trap water/salt and you can't actually see the damage until it's really a mess. See the same thing you're looking at here in Ohio. Clean/paint that frame as much as possible, then I start shooting used motor oil in all the holes and cracks inside the boxed parts. Park in gravel or put cardboard under it for a few days. You can stop any future damage.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No telling from our computer screens' perspective TBH.

If you can find a spec on what the thickness of the frame is, you can try hitting a spot with a flap disc and check the thickness with some dial calipers. That will tell you how much section loss has occurred.

I don't have to deal with road salt on vehicles here, but this is what I do when assessing corrosion on steel structures (mostly buildings.)

Good luck.

OP
OP
Five3brian

Five3brian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd start by poking around everywhere on the frame with a screw driver and see if you can find any soft spots. If there's no soft spots I'd clean it up with a wire wheel the best you can and either por 15 or even rustoleum rust converter as much as you can. Also pickup a bunch of fluid film and spray it inside all the holes in the frame and also anywhere you can't apply the rust converter.
Will definitely try that, i appreciate it. So far i’ve took a spray bottle and squirted transmission fluid inside the door plugs and in the fenders a bit, so hopefully that’ll help slow body rust down too.

OP
OP
Five3brian

Five3brian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No telling from our computer screens' perspective TBH.

If you can find a spec on what the thickness of the frame is, you can try hitting a spot with a flap disc and check the thickness with some dial calipers. That will tell you how much section loss has occurred.

I don't have to deal with road salt on vehicles here, but this is what I do when assessing corrosion on steel structures (mostly buildings.)

Good luck.
Never thought of that! Thanks

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
From a veteran rust belt warrior...
That frame isn't so bad. I have repaired and continued to drive way worse.
Cleanup all the areas you can get to with a scraper or wire brush, Pick the hottest, most humid day you can and soak it with Krud-Kutter and rinse it off after about 10 minutes. let that dry a day or so and them spray the entire underbody with Fluid-Film. that should do it.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez....that looks rough. I see nothing but a long list of repairs, replacements, cuss words, and disappointment with it. I'd just drive it like it is and save up some money. Then, schedule a vacation to a southern or western location to find a clean replacement that you can start with a clean slate from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap