Project---------------Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did haha. SSS wheels.

One friend said it looks like a cop vehicle now haha..

Mike

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so your fans are working like normal? No constant running or anything? I say that because I had that problem and it was a computer issue and we have the same model truck..

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so your fans are working like normal? No constant running or anything? I say that because I had that problem and it was a computer issue and we have the same model truck..

Fans work just fine. The pcm needs to be programmed to turn fans on at a certain temp. I have efilive tuning software so I just programmed it myself.

Mike

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update time again.

I'm currently waiting on some parts for the T56 swap. After talking with some people, it turns out the factory style master cylinder and clutch pedal has some issues when being used with an aftermarket clutch. The pedal brackets tend to crack/break under severe shifting and the added stiffness of the aftermarket pressure plates. So, I made the decision to use a Tilton 75 series master cylinder (same unit that Tick performance uses) with custom bracketry and I'm having a custom stainless line made to fit. I'm also fabbing up a custom shifter setup, stay tuned for this one. If it works it will still retain the "short shifter" feel instead of having a typical long truck style shift lever.

Also, having some issues with the Nelson fan harness for the efan swap. the 99-02 rigs usually get the low speed fans triggered by the pcm, then the high speed is tied into the AC compressor trigger. Weird setup and I wished I had done more research on this. But, the newer 03+ rigs have both the low speed and high speed controlled by the pcm by setting the on/off temps within the pcm. Not a big deal and very easy to do. After researching, it appears I can convert my 2000 to use the pcm for high speed trigger by will lose the auto-recirc function on the HVAC controls and will need to repin the PCM. Still researching this one but it seems like this is the way to go. As it is now, everytime the defrost is activated, the high speed fans come on. Not a very useful thing when trying to defrost your windows in colder climates.

Well the look of the black wheels (buddies wheels posted above) kinda grew on me so this weekend I set out to plasti-dip my own wheels. Kinda like the looks of them being black. Now I just need to get rid of some chrome on the rest of it...

IMG_20141005_173157052_HDR_zpsd7dy5hlc.jpg

Mike

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made some progress with the custom shifter mechanism this weekend.

So, one of the things that really bugged me about doing a T56 swap into a Tahoe/Silverado etc,,, was the fact that most everyone is just using a very long shift lever from the trans all the way up to the center of the console. That distance is roughly 18-19" total length. With having such a long shift lever, it makes the shift throw from gear to gear very long as well. I wanted more of a "car" shifter type feel so I came up with this idea. I've never seen this done before. On the bench it seems to work perfectly but here is my debut for the proto-type shifter. I took a vid with my phone, but it turned out tilted sideways. I'll try to get a better vid tonight showing it operating through the gears. It looks a bit goofy, but it will be fully contained and hidden from view. The only thing you'll see is the leather wrapped Hurst shift knob. :)

Almost forgot,,, it measures 19" from transmission shift mount to the top of the leather shift knob.

IMG_20141012_170401702_zpsqfsivykn.jpg

IMG_20141012_170350680_HDR_zpstivrzvjm.jpg

I found a 1/2" drive socket the same size as the shifter cup, bought two of them, machined a slot down the underside of the sockets, then tack welded it onto the cut down stock shifters. This has since been fully welded in place.

IMG_20141011_191800099_zpsigawctgr.jpg

Mike

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like quite the contraption :popcorn:

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder how this will hold up when you're banging through the gears...

You know I thought the same thing after I saw how small the 8mm all-thread looked. After it started coming together I realized that the center shifter actually became a structural brace. It's quite strong and I will have no problems banging gears all day long. I got a vid of shifting it through the gears. Will probably upload it in the morning.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

That looks like quite the contraption :popcorn:

Wait till you see it in action Lol... there's alot going on. :)