VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did this mod a while back and have the onstar app on my galaxy s3 trust me it is the best mod you can do. I mainly did this mod since i could not use the remote start with the key fob from inside the house i actually had tobe near the truck to do it, but with the 2010 vcim in my 2007 it works great I can start my truck from another state and it will start trust me I have tried it. The app also tells you how much gas u have and how far till your next fill up. The only issue I found with this swap was if your engine light is on it will not work.

ScubaJim

Reaction score
Installed a 2010 Chevy Traverse VCIM in my 2008 Tahoe today. As others have said fairly straight forward install. The two clips on the side do make it a PIA to put back in. I had to over flex them but the did clip back once the unit was installed. Few observations: The coax style (purple and blue) connectors are upside down on the new VCIM, just be cautious when reinstalling. The VCIM is color-coded at the base of those coax style connectors in case you mix something up. I find it helpful to take pictures as you go just incase. That plastic housing has some sharp edges be careful it's a tight space. Below are a few images of the connectors and cables for reference.

IMG_20131117_081300_060_zpse60a550d.jpg

IMG_20131117_081321_812_zps34553941.jpg

IMG_20131117_081346_146_zpsdc161382.jpg

Last edited:

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I want to do this on my 07 and also have the remote app on the phone. I am still a little confused as to which VCIM or what year VCIM I have to look for? Also how do I tell OnStar that I switched a VCIM for everything to work? I thought it was linked to the VIN of the car somehow and needed to be reset or Onstar needs a VIN?

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to be plug and play it has to be a 2010

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Okay cause 2011 and up I need that antenna adaptor tool. Will the 2010 VCIM also give me the remote link app?

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Thank You!

One last question, Onstar doesn't give you any difficulty updating the VCIM? What do I do, provide them with a VIN or make / model of a car that support those features? (example I have an 07 Avalanche, tell them I drive an '10 Tahoe or Avalanche?)

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You!

One last question, Onstar doesn't give you any difficulty updating the VCIM? What do I do, provide them with a VIN or make / model of a car that support those features? (example I have an 07 Avalanche, tell them I drive an '10 Tahoe or Avalanche?)

Just a heads up, I used p/n 20829984 from a 2010 Traverse. The Traverse was junked out and I found mine through an online junk yard supplier. The VCIM I ordered did not come with the bluetooth antenna (it mounts on the back of the VCIM and can be found online through Amazon/Ebay etc for approx $20.).

I recently needed to use Onstar for the roadside assistance. When I called, they thought I was driving a Blue Chevy Traverse and were confused when I said no, I'll be in a White GMC Yukon Hybrid. The tow truck driver would've been looking for a Blue Traverse...

When you call Onstar, they will think you bought a new vehicle. I'd just go with it and let them think you bought the new vehicle. They'll set it up like new. Once Onstar is programmed, you'll need to download the app and log into your Onstar account. From there, it's all easy to figure out but if you need any more help, you know where to ask.

Good luck,

Ryan

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan. I have the 12 nav in a 08. Will the 2010 model work with the newer nav and give me the phone app. I would like to be able to start the truck from the phone but also don't want to have to rig the 2to1 antenna connection.

Trx_Tahoe

Reaction score
Ryan. I have the 12 nav in a 08. Will the 2010 model work with the newer nav and give me the phone app. I would like to be able to start the truck from the phone but also don't want to have to rig the 2to1 antenna connection.

If you are referring to the 2010 VCIM, yes it will work. I have a 2011 Nav 30GB HD with and 2010 VCIM from an Acadia. It all works fine including the OnStar App.

Hope it helps

TRX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Footankleg