VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to verify this so it may just be my "professional" opinion: I believe the red light is due to the vin not matching between the vcim and the truck itself. All functions work while the red light is illuminated for me... Hopefully this is helpful.

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to verify this so it may just be my "professional" opinion: I believe the red light is due to the vin not matching between the vcim and the truck itself. All functions work while the red light is illuminated for me... Hopefully this is helpful.

Same here, I have a the red light on and I have all the options working

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bo I got my hands in a 2011. Can I just make a splitter by splicing the two antenna wires together or does the splitter you show do something special to make it work.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is there a way to just get the blue tooth capability? I. Too cheap for on star :crazy:

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, I have a the red light on and I have all the options working

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. That is a sexy ass ride! Love it.
Bo I got my hands in a 2011. Can I just make a splitter by splicing the two antenna wires together or does the splitter you show do something special to make it work.

Not sure if that would work. You can leave the GPS antennae unplug from the Onstar module and it will still work. It just won't receive a GPS signal and Onstar won't be able to know automatically where you are. Plus if you subscribe to FamilyLink I guess that won't work. Your other option is to purchase the special tool that was mentioned earlier in this thread for $129, or swap out the antenna and possibly wiring from a 2011.

So is there a way to just get the blue tooth capability? I. Too cheap for on star :crazy:

Yes don't turn on on star and just upgrade the

On a side note. Fixed my issues and they had nothing to do with the Onstar module. It was a pure fluke that it happened at the same time. Turns out my AirRaid MIT tube popped off the rubber coupler and off the TB and was pulling un metered air. As soon as it was sensing some issues, everything went haywire and setting off the idiot lights.

BTW. RemoteLink is awesome! Started the truck up while still sitting in the theatre during ending credits and it was nice and toasty by the time I got to it. Love the RemoteLink feature. Although I have noticed it is not picking up the Oil Life percentage and Tire PSI. Everything else is working.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tiki - I installed an iSimple from PAC-Audio that adds bluetooth as well as iPod/iPhone integration and usb. I'm likely upgrading to a 2010 vcim with factory bluetooth then the Pioneer 8500 and new Axxess module that retains factory bluetooth and onstar.

I'd sell you my iSimple if you're interested. It works flawlessly and I use it everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how that works so we have other options than the 2010 model that uses the same harness.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

So I actually managed to find a vcim out of a Buick Enclave today (part 20829984). I called onstar and the lady said it is compatible but she was dumb and then realized what I had said (replacing my tahoe unit with the Buick unit). Guess I'm going to snag this up!

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can check comparability on Onstar's website.

Sent from racephone

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it actually show the vcim model numbers and compatible vehicles? Point me in the right direction on the website if you could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
le frog