VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, I used p/n 20829984 from a 2010 Traverse. The Traverse was junked out and I found mine through an online junk yard supplier. The VCIM I ordered did not come with the bluetooth antenna (it mounts on the back of the VCIM and can be found online through Amazon/Ebay etc for approx $20.).

I recently needed to use Onstar for the roadside assistance. When I called, they thought I was driving a Blue Chevy Traverse and were confused when I said no, I'll be in a White GMC Yukon Hybrid. The tow truck driver would've been looking for a Blue Traverse...

When you call Onstar, they will think you bought a new vehicle. I'd just go with it and let them think you bought the new vehicle. They'll set it up like new. Once Onstar is programmed, you'll need to download the app and log into your Onstar account. From there, it's all easy to figure out but if you need any more help, you know where to ask.

Good luck,

Ryan

Thank you Ryan. That is perfect! So far I have found a few '10 modules from an Enclave, Traverse. I did find one from an 2010 Avalanche and waiting for verification of the part number. If it's the one that you mentioned above (the rest of them are), guess that will be perfect since I plan on putting this into an Avalanche.

So with the upgraded on star module, what other new features should I expect? Will it show the caller id number finally on the dash (not that I would be using that since the point is to get Bluetooth just curious)

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Ryan. That is perfect! So far I have found a few '10 modules from an Enclave, Traverse. I did find one from an 2010 Avalanche and waiting for verification of the part number. If it's the one that you mentioned above (the rest of them are), guess that will be perfect since I plan on putting this into an Avalanche.

So with the upgraded on star module, what other new features should I expect? Will it show the caller id number finally on the dash (not that I would be using that since the point is to get Bluetooth just curious)

For me, the number shows up on the DIC. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

If you are referring to the 2010 VCIM, yes it will work. I have a 2011 Nav 30GB HD with and 2010 VCIM from an Acadia. It all works fine including the OnStar App.

Hope it helps

TRX

Agreed. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, the number shows up on the DIC. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Agreed. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Thank you sir. Hopefully this place gets back to me tomorrow and this will be a project in the next week or two! Will keep you guys posted!

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find some that work which you don't purchase please forward me where I can get these. I've called a few places and are also waiting to hear back. Mainly looked on car-part.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find some that work which you don't purchase please forward me where I can get these. I've called a few places and are also waiting to hear back. Mainly looked on car-part.com

The first one on this list from car-part.com should work. The last one might also...but I'd need more information: Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 8.11.09 PM.jpg

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well pulled the trigger. I have part 20829984 coming from a 2010 Suburban and I should hopefully have it in sometime next week. :) Will keep you guys posted

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried calling a few of those places and they never called back after I spoke with them. Probably going to keep trying. How much did you end up paying?

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried calling a few of those places and they never called back after I spoke with them. Probably going to keep trying. How much did you end up paying?

Yeah it seems they are really some mom and pop type of shops. I called the place in Georgia that has it from a 2010 Enclave. They were nice. In order to do a transaction over the phone they will need to fax you a credit card authorization form, you fill it out along with a copy of your cc and fax it back. I was about to order from them when I spotted the same part number from a 10 Suburban and it stated it comes with the antenna. This was from an outfit called A1 Truck Wrecking in CA. Called them and the guy was a bit of a douchebag over the phone when I asked to make sure the description is correct. His reply was "that's what it says doesn't it. we wouldn't put something in there in correctly". Normally I would pass on doing business with a place like that but considering these are hard to come by, I sucked up my response to him and ordered it. Same deal with them, they fax you an authorization form, you fill it out and fax it back.

So you have to be a little persistent in dealing with them but you can get it done.

ScubaJim

Reaction score
I purchased mine from j.yard in NC. The guy took pictures of everything before we finalized the purchase. I had to fill out the form and send it back to them with a copy of my ID too. He was very pleasant to deal with. Happy with the results other than you cant use the "call" function (stored names and numbers) without the OnStar contract. The "dial" function works fine.

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.

I received my part earlier today and it was just as described. I was also surprised to receive the actual Onstar shark fin antennae which is no use for me right now. Oh well it will go into the spare parts cabinet.

The part that I ordered was from a 2010 Suburban GM part number # 20829984 with bluetooth. The Date on the module itself is 3/25/2010 and is made by LG. This is replacing my 2007 Onstar Module that is made by Continental.

IMG_8088-L.jpg

IMG_8095-L.jpg

Original module
IMG_8096-L.jpg

There is one additional unused connector on the original module but everything else seemed to plug right in

IMG_8097-L.jpg

The most challenging part that I found in this entire installation is removing the trim around the radio and then actually unplugging the on star module itself. The wiring does not have any play in it and the connectors are on the back side of it. It is doable but you will scrap your fingers up.

IMG_8092-L.jpg

So does it work. YES!

I believe I got a unit that was never activated. I fist attempted to pair my phone and I was successful on that. The outgoing and incoming numbers are displayed on the DIC and when the phone pairs it displays Bluetooth on the DIC as well.

Next was Onstar. Upon pressing the Call button, it greeted me with a Thank You and the Demonstration page (hence why I say I don't think it was ever activated). I let the advisor know that I got a new vehicle and want to add it to my account (didn't want to turn the original box off just in case). It took her about 10-15 minutes and she added it to the account with no problem and verified that Remote Link was supported. After all was done, I tested Remote Link via my iPhone and sure enough if functioned perfectly. It even downloaded my fuel level, distance to empty and tire pressure!

I do have to note, and I am not sure if by any way this is related to this, I went to drive to a store later on and I noticed the red light on the mirror was on but Onstar and Remote Link were functioning fine. I also ended up getting a "service stabilitrack / traction control message", cel light went off with a lean code for both banks, and my auto 4wd when to full 4wd (had that happen last winter). I have no idea if by any chance that is related. I got home, cleared the codes and after some reading, disconnected the battery and letting it sit about 30-45 minutes before reconnecting. It could have just been coincidental and not sure if one is connected with the other.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Footankleg