VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the unit from the Buick Enclave that you were gonna buy. The guy sent me pictures and it's exactly the same as the LG you got. My whole point of this is to use the factory bluetooth and onstar mic for phone when I upgrade to a new head unit. The harness I'm going to buy allows for this to work with the pioneer 8500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd add a few pics of the iSimple bluetooth/iphone/USB integration I installed (PAC-audio ISGM651). I really like the module a lot and it gives me bluetooth audio for music and phone as well as USB for any phone. Steering wheel controls work and all. I'm still installing a 2010 vcim with bluetooth because any plug in bluetooth mic really sucks in my opinion. I installed the USB in the cup holder compartment but I'm thinking of adding a splitter and doing the passenger side cigarette USB mod as well. papy5anu.jpga6ese5a9.jpg

I may be parting ways with the PAC unit and my factory 08 Nav with 2010 dvd if I upgrade to the Pioneer 8500 in case anyone is interested. FYI the oem units are out of a hybrid tahoe (nav has one extra screen to view hybrid motor - nothing functionally at all).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bo I got my hands in a 2011. Can I just make a splitter by splicing the two antenna wires together or does the splitter you show do something special to make it work.

I think splicing should work also,,, all they did in the new model was combine the two in one. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. You can potentially have two different digital signals running on one wire now thru a diplexer in the antenna and onstar module. Aka network wiring. If that's the case you can not split that.

Sent from racephone

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. You can potentially have two different digital signals running on one wire now thru a diplexer in the antenna and onstar module. Aka network wiring. If that's the case you can not split that.

The newer roof antennas use a duplexer which does in fact route both OnStar and GPS into one cable thus having only two plugs in the new vcims. the old antennas have the onstar and gps in two different wires. 'I would THINK' that you can splice the old two wires into one but i'm not sure. I found and bought the splitter just so i dont have to do any splicing.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realized the 2011 vcim has only three harness plugs. I have 4 on the older one. I Also have a plug that came with the 2012 navigation that goes into the old vcim. Which plug does not get plugged in?

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realized the 2011 vcim has only three harness plugs. I have 4 on the older one. I Also have a plug that came with the 2012 navigation that goes into the old vcim. Which plug does not get plugged in?

See my post a page or two prior to this. Plug it into the ones that fit, I think you can't put a plug into a connector that doesn't work. . My old VCIM had 4 and the 2010 only had 3. I believe there are only 3 connectors going to the VCIM anyway.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to wait and try that eBay adapter. I will advise.

ScubaJim

Reaction score
I purchased mine from j.yard in NC. The guy took pictures of everything before we finalized the purchase. I had to fill out the form and send it back to them with a copy of my ID too. He was very pleasant to deal with. Happy with the results other than you cant use the "call" function (stored names and numbers) without the OnStar contract. The "dial" function works fine.

Well...strange but the "call" feature started working. The names and numbers I stored would not initially go through. It said there were not enough minutes and I would need to activate OnStar. While driving the other day I tried to make a call with the "call" feature and it worked. So pretty happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
le frog