Does anyone run ethanol free gas in lieu of premium in their 6.2 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In FL it’s about + .80-.90 a gal here Over RUL. I hardly ever see anyone reach for that handle. I purposely by it for my outdoor power equipment and jerry cans as it stores much longer and doesn’t foul carburetors and injectors as easily….
Same. I haven't looked lately but it's usually on par with premium if not a tad more expensive. Only people at that pump are filling gas cans for lawnmowers.

I might try a tank in the 5.3 just for ***** and giggles but in our '11 suburban the 5.3 never ever saw any difference in mileage or power regardless of fuel used. I would do a tank of 92 octane now and then and see zero change other than I paid more to fill up. But then again I never seem to get these magical mid 20's mpg out of my 5.3 that others on here claim.

Last edited:

Plato442

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used to run E-free in the wife’s 01 w/ 5.3. It definitely made a difference. Tried it a few times on the 03 Denali, didn’t notice much difference since I alway run premium anyhow.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in Iowa, about the only way to get non-ethanol fuel is to buy premium (91 octane). Otherwise you’re getting 10% (87 octane) or 15% (88 octane) at the stations near me. At the station I use, 10% is running $3.99, 15% is $3.78, E85 is $3.75 and non-ethanol is $4.69.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Non-ethy 91 in my 2019 Tahoe when I bought it new through 28K miles before trading it. I got great mileage on that truck, especially when towing (18+ with about 5K lbs behind at 75 mph). I assume the gas helped, but I mainly ran it for benefit of not running ethanol through the system as it causes everything to break down faster (fuel lines, etc). I fully expected to keep my tahoe for a long time which was why I started using it but the value on trade of that truck was $8K over what I paid for it 3 years prior so I sent it packing lol.

Right now non-ethy is about ~$5.00/gallon by me. Not sure if the cost to mileage ratio is beneficial, I imagine its probably wash between running ethy vs non-ethy. I have been considering running it again in my new truck.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just by chance I just filled up a few days ago with premium ethanol free gas at a local farmers co-op. It was $4.44/gallon which is on par with regular unleaded ethanol gas around. Seat of the pants tells me my 6.2 likes it! Unfortunately I complicated the issue by installing a new ATM battery to replace my failing battery on the same trip.

fr8bil

Reaction score
Since discovering all the problems Ethanol creates and according to owner's manual of our 2010 Sierra Denali 6.2 I ONLY use Pure Gas in it since new. We have a Daughter who lives over in Indiana and owns a 2017 Escalade with the 6.2 and she gets away with running 87 in it somehow and either the vehicle is very heavily insulated or somehow the electronic spark control has adjusted to 87 since the last time I drove it I could not detect any pinging or knocking. One dumb issue we have in Missouri is that some ridiculous decision was made that we can only buy Pure Gas in 91 Octane and not 87. Similarly, there was some unpublicized agreement with the EPA that Ethanol-free gas is NOT AVAILABLE in a 100 radius around St. Louis Metro extending over into Southern Illinois !

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried EF gas. I tried it in the 5.3 for the first time the other day. My highest mpg was 26 mpg Highway. My avg was 25 mpg on the highway
my non highway mpg was 18-19 mpg
ethnonal is 3.59 yeah better then paying 6$ a gallon

$0.28 13mpg
$0.40c/mile 15mpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilithMoon