New 2 Door!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2doorfiend

Reaction score
Howdy,
First post on the forum but i've been lurking for a while.
Just need some advice in buying an old 2 door tahoe 4x4

A little History: I have owned a 1997 2 door tahoe before, but it only had 50,000 miles, so no problems whatsoever. Traded it in (regret it now) for a sportscar (cadillac cts), but i'm going to be moving back up to alaska and plan on driving up.

I have been looking everywhere for a 2 door again. Seems like every one i see is either way overpriced or high miles. So i'm going to gamble with a high mileage truck.

>>I am not very mechanically inclined, so i dont know what to look for. I was wondering if you guys could help me out as to what to look for when buying a high mileage truck. I've never had to rebuild an engine or transmission, so i dont have a clue on what kind of budget to give myself. I've currently got my eye on an all black 1999 2 door tahoe with 180k miles, looks like its been repainted recently, but clean carfax. interior is thrashed. I put carpet in my old tahoe, and a sound system... but that is as far as i went in taking things apart and tinkering.

What would an engine and trans rebuild cost?
Do i need to rebuild/maintenance the transfer case or differentials?
What would it cost to have the seats and headliner redone?
Are there any suspension or drive train parts that may need to be replaced?
can i do any of this work myself in my garage?

any other handy information i may need to look for or know?

Also, anyone from up north have advice before i head up? remote start? block heater? Oil pan heater?

Also, the dash is cracked in a few placed :( I've got my handy LMC magazine next to me, but the only fix would be a plastic dash cover. any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
and sorry if i sound like a novice... i am!
-Fiend

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If the interior is trashed I would keep on looking. Nothing wrong with a 4dr either you get more room. And you will find a lot better ones. Engine new $1900 tranny remaned is $1800 roughly. 1997 tcase about $700 remaned. There are whole parts just swap them in. IF seat are leather you might be looking at $750 for new covers on front seats alone not including $125 for each bottom cushion. $750 for the whole rear set. Dash will be a pain. I would rather recommend you find an excellent body and interior with a block and tranny that may be damaged.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
so based on pictured and add on if f mechanical are in excellent condition and it is just a cracked dash and rear carpet I would offer $7500 out the door taxes/fees included. I only say this because of the rarity effect that attracts some one to it. Body and bumpers do look good. Includes cost to lose those blacked out lights, they are very bad.

RedCrush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell i sell you mine for way cheaper than that... lol

God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a pretty steep price but its a damn fine looking 2dr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts